What happens if..?

T

I dont make my final thesis subission date? What if I need an extra 2 days? Will I be penalised?

T

W

Hi Tina, to the best of my knowledge you wouldn't be penalised, but there may be implications for your department if you are funded and you go over their deadline. Its probably best to check with your supervisor.
I spoke to mine last week and extended my final submission date. When is your thesis due?

T

end of october. i cant speak to my supervisor because im trying to convince her (and probably myself too) that i can do it.

W

ha ha you sound like me! I have even written on my fridge 'I can finish my PhD and I will do it!' to try to convince myself. You still have a long time, its amazing how much can be done in a month if you set your heart to it and know its the last month! So my advice is to go for it, and at the end of the day if you submit a week late, so what? You still will have submitted!!

D

I didnt have a submission deadline set by the university. I just set my own deadline and ended up moving it three times!

K

Hi Tina, you talk about speaking to your supervisor, but it's probably worth contacting your research student office/postgrad office at your uni. These things usually tend to be decided at a university-wide level. IE: they'll have general guidelines, then look at individual cases to see if extensions are granted.

Our research registrar is quite flexible: we are supposed to hand in by 1st Oct, but as this is a weekend, they will let us hand in on Monday or Tues if we wish to use this weekend. Bottom line is, they will give afew days - anything extending into weeks needs authorisation. Hope that helps!