what happens post viva and time scales

A

Hi everyone, hope someone can enlighten me on what is supposed to happen after the viva. I had mine at end of November, and it has been followed by resounding silence, and I am getting worried. I was expecting a) to have some communication from the school confirming the examiners recommendations (pass without corrections) and b) to get the copies of my thesis back from examiners so I could get them hard bound when I'd got that confirmation. Am I just being too impatient, does it take a long time (I know there has been Christmas in the way)? Or am I wrong about what happens?

cheers

K

Hi Aliby - where are you based? UK? (Again, I use the caveat of only speakng for UK procedures)

I see you are in the hallowed group of having been passed without corrections - very well done! To be honest, I would have expected you to have received something in writing from your registry/research office by now comfirming this. Admittedly, if you passed without corrections, they don't have a list of them to type up, but you should still get writen confirmation of the outcome fairly promptly (1-2 weeks after viva)

If I were you I would contact yout internal examiner or research office to enquire what has happened. You may have been sent something, that may have gone astray given Xmas, etc.

P

well done aliby!

Whay was it like? How long did it last?

A

thanks pea. Viva was hard! two hours, and all the way through I was thinking that I wasnt really understanding what they were asking, and they kept bringing up bits where they said they wanted to know more, so I was sure I was going to have lots of bits to add.

Kronkodile I think you are right, I need to chase up. I was hoping I'd make the Feb congregation, but I have missed that deadline now. I just hope the delay isnt because the school are having issues with the examiners recommendations

K

Your examiner' decisions are final. They both agreed that you should be passed, there is no reason for the school to dispute this (indeed, no reason why anyone would dispute such a fab result!)

Sounds like someone has forgotten to type something up, or it may have been mislaid in internal post, etc. I think you should chase this up as a matter of urgency though. A letter could have been sent to you requesting you submit bound copies by a certain date, and if you haven't had it you won't know. You don't want a situation where they think they've sent you something and are waiting for something to come from your end. Let us know what comes of it