What is a typical PhD time commitment?

W

If you're a right royal thicko like me, you have to work as many hours as possible. Sometimes I just wish I was super-intelligent, didn't get writers block and wasn't so easily distracted. I'd do really well then. Bah, well, can't have the cake and h'apenny I suppose.

S

Hi,
I am on the verge of beginning a PhD but 'am still mystified to some elements of the 'PhD Life'. With regard to this discussion, realistically, how much time would you guys suggest I would have for a part-time job? If you did want to take that cheeky week skiing, surely you can just have a week of doubling-up the work-load - too optimistic?

Another question you can maybe help me with: my likely supervisor informed me that upon starting my PhD I would be given three supervisors - however, what is typically the learning format and interaction with these people? I know that may sound confusing or somewhat daft, but I am still a wee bit confused with the lay-out I will face

thanks for your time people

J

In relation to your last question: I have three supervisors. I see my first informally on a daily basis, and offically once a week for a progress meeting. It was in meetings with my first supervisor that I planned my work.

My second supervisor I only see now and then; I picked her cos she's a chemist (my weak area, she's good for advice). My third supervisor is from our industrial partners: I see him at industrial meetings once a month and he reminds me of my legal obligations to the company (in a nice way, though).

N

In my first year I devoted about 40 hours a week to my PhD, sometimes working 9 to 5 and sometimes distributing the 40 hours along the 7 days of the week. Now (2nd year) I typically do PhD work 30 hours per week, as I don't think 40 hours are really necessary for me (plus I get 10 extra hours which I devote to my teaching certificate, teaching preparation, the actual teaching etc).

S

depends on your supervisor's style and your style

B

Well I am supposed to be one of the persons who give PhDs a bad name, lol.
During my PhD programme I spent a lot of time, from 10am to 8pm. Most of my weekends were also dedicated to read and do calculations. Whenever I took some time off I felt guilty and never ever had a single day without feeling that I should be working on my thesis. Yes, it is horrible. I was so stressed and I felt my life depended on it. Independently of the subject and supervisor, I think doing a PhD is a serious commitment.

G

It's surely not a question of differing commitments, I can't imagine a PhD completed without commitment. The question is, the scope for effective time management. If you are being worked to extremes, perhaps the supervisor (or student) is being unrealistic with the project boundaries?

D

Oh dear i do feel inadequate now
Monday-Friday 10-4 officially but I quite often get lost in other things so heaven knows really how many hours I put in.
Weekends are sacred, time for family.
That said when i have a pressing deadline I will work whatever it takes to get it done.
Not the most organised way of doing it but it gets done which is what matters.
x

O

Its probably not only a matter of hours, but how effectively or productively you use your hours. The way that universities seem to set up PhD work areas seems so counter productive--cramming people into the same small space...how can people work like that?There should be quiet spacious well lit private work spaces for PhD students---not something like a typing pool from 1927.

S

devote your soul and heart into it to ensure a good job done

C

Spiegboy, How many hours per day do you need to spend in order to ensure you are devoting your heart and soul to your PhD?
I love your advice Spiegboy, it's so generic.

C

I took 3 weeks off total in my first year and my supervisor called me in to talk about "the amount of time I was taking off"..

I would say - if you're going to take holiday, hide from your supervisor!