What questions to ask at PhD interview?

L

I am expecting my interview soon, I am wondering what type of questions it is better to ask there ? I have my own proposal and would like to get ECSR funding.

R

you might as well be asking how long is a piece of string?

ask anything you like. example: what is the supervison style of the supervisor: i.e can you have regular meetings or does he advocate the distance learning approach.

do they prefer Guinness or Larger?

L

Thank you, it is a very practical advice. I'll let you know how it worked for me after interview.

S

most scientists will talk - alot! about what they do. Try take key points from what they say and relate them work you do, and form questions that are a point for discussion.
Mentioning funding wishes is fine, just make sure they are realistic! it might be best to ask 'I was interested in getting this funding to help, I was thinking about going about it this way. What do you think?' a straight talking supervisor will be encouraged you are thinking and realistic.
A question in interview I once heard was:
'its friday afternoon, you have a paper due for submission on monday morning - but all your friends are going to the pub- what would you do?'
everyone answers 'I'd work till all the way through and submit in time(probably die of a heart attack 3 seconds after submitting)'
The guy who gets the job is the one who says
'I'd go to the pub have a couple- get the stresses out and wake up on saturday refreshed and get it done'
Supervisors usually prefer honesty and realistic goals.