What should I do?

G

I am just coming up to the end of the second year. During the first year I spent time discovering the various methods that I could use to solve the problem that my PhD hopes to solve. I discussed the methods with my two supervisors and learnt the various theories.

At the end of the first year I decided that I didn't think I would be able to apply one of the theories so I chose a method that I thought I could understand. Meanwhile one of the supervisors, who is more of an expert on the field related to the project, went away to work abroad for a year. I spent the second year having meetings with the second supervisor who has no knowledge about the field, sending emails to the supervisor abroad, who rarely replied.

The supervisor who went abroad has recently returned and I had a meeting with him. He told me that I should have applied the theory that I didn't understand, as it would give more depth to my thesis. The theory I am using is only skimming the surface and wouldn't meet the requirements to obtain a PhD. I spoke to my internal examiner yesterday, who I haven't seen since the first year upgrade and he agrees.

I asked them if they thought that with only a year left I will have time to change course and use the harder theory, but I can't get a straight answer.

I also have a job offer which is very tempting at the moment, but after spending two years trying to do a PhD I am reluctant to leave.

Anybody in, or been in, a similar position? What would you do?

D

sorry, I'm on a bit of a role today (bored of writing up).

I fully sympathise with you and reading through the problems some folks are experiencing I wonder whether we're all from the same Uni!

This is my honest opinion and apologise if I offend...

I would not think twice about getting the job. Your examiner and supervisor will not give you a straight answer because its bad news and they don't want to break it to you. A similar thing happened in our dept. and the person had a breakdown. Senior academic cannot cope with emotional people, that's why they are in academia:)

If you can get funding for another year then you have 2 years and maybe (depending on how complex it is) you can turn it round. The problem is if you internal examiner knows, then your external will be told instantly as soon as they meet.

If you have a job lined up then take it, its a get out of jail card. If you were just going to quit and had not back up then that would be silly.

Hope this helps

S

You've doe two years - seems a shame to waste all that work! But I agree with the other poster - I do't think it would be possible to turn your thesis around, using a new theory in the last year. Can you add another year? Think carefully about taking the job - would be awful if you took it for short term relief from your thesis, and for some income, only to regret down the track that you didn't get your PhD...