What sort of accommodation?

C

======= Date Modified 15 36 2009 20:36:24 =======
Hey guys (and girls),

I'm trying to decide what sort of accommodation I should go for when I move up to Manchester later this year, and am stuck between either an en-suite style room in a shared flat or a self-contained flat (the en-suite room is in University Place Hall and the flats in Vaughan House/LadyBarn House for those of you who have experience with halls in Manchester). I've heard that it would be better to have a bit more space to myself studying a PhD (in comparison to an undergrad degree) but I'm not sure quite whether this is worth an extra £1000 a year- if anyone has advice or prior experience with these halls, I'd really appreciate hearing it!

S

Hi!
I haven't lived in University of Manchester halls, but some friends have. I would avoid Ladybarn if you want peace and quiet - its in the centre of Fallowfield which is undergrad central and you will have a string of bars outside your door. Have you not thought about private accommodation. As far as I know the options you've stated are all approximately £100 per week. You could get a really nice houseshare (with other postgrads) in one of the best areas of Manchester for £300 - even with bills it would work out cheaper or equivalent and you would probably get a much nicer space!

B

I don't know the halls you mention, but based on my own experience I would suggest that you might be ok with less space in the first year or two and then pay extra to gain more working space after that. It also depends if there'll be anywhere for you work at university too (and whether you'll like working in there).

I don't have any space at college, so to begin with I spent a lot of time in libraries but my work's gradually become less portable as it's grown (and I also find it a real block to progress if I find I haven't got something I need right there and then) so now I need to work at home. For the first two years I lived with a friend and had a desk in my room but moved in with my boyfriend halfway through and claimed our very small spare room as my own - this coincided with starting to write my thesis which worked out really well. I think if that hadn't happened (and it was just by chance) I'd have looked for a big-ish room in the later years so that I could at least designate one side of it as a workspace or something.

Good luck finding a place!

M

I would also recommend going for a flat too, and preferably in a building that only houses postgraduate students. I know a few people who stayed in the shared flats in Manchester, and even found those a bit too loud. I don't know what your budget is, but Manchester has very cheap private sector accommodation.