What to do?

L

hi...i am happy to have a place like this where i can share my experiences during my PhD. I have started my PhD this year (started on this jan). In fact my PhD is funded by project from University of Pisa but I am a PhD student in University of Brescia, Italy. Frankly speaking, i never wanted to do my PhD in Italy. When I was in Dhaka (Bangladesh) I tried many universities in Australia, New Zeland and Germany. But I didnt get the PhD scholarship there. However, when found the opportunity to work as a research fellow for 6 months in university of pisa i thought that i could move to other place from Italy. but it didnt happen. May be my self esteem was very low. but i am loving research here. My professors are very nice to me. But still i dont know i have a feeling inside that i could move to a better place. i dont know what to do. Please write something.....

B

Lost - Give the place a chance. If you personally like the place, then you will work well and produce good work. Just forget about moving on for now as this can be done sometime later i.e. you will have plenty of time once you start producing results and I am assuming that you are still young enough to move on after this Phd is finished.
One great thing that you are overlooking is that you are right in the heart of Europe and with great rail links, will be in another European city within a few hours. I would suggest that plan a few weekend city breaks in the first year (you won't be as busy).
Force yourself out to explore the local area.

L

Dear Bozo....thanx for your suggestions......i really appreciate...

wow I would love to be doing my PhD in Pisa. *sighs*

B

Probably wasn't really coherent in the last message but main point is don't worry about what could have been or is the grass greener elsewhere ... if you are comfortable where you are now, make it a place you will enjoy for your stay. With conferences, long weekends you'll get a share of travel in. You aren't locked in a prison in Brescia (or has funding gone that bad ha ha), so actively make plans to get out and enjoy Brescia, Italy and Europe. If Roberto Baggio made the place his last club it can't be all that bad 8-)

It will take an effort but I am sure that there will be people to give you advice as where to go and see. And for self-esteem, well, I have to say that it took bravery to go to a different country to do your PhD so no doubt you can get out and do it when needed

S

Hey LostSurvivor, count your blessings. Like others, I would loooove to do a PhD in Italy - or anywhere in Europe. I'm in a parochial regional city in Australia which I loathe, most of the locals are horrible, there is no culture, nothing to do, countryside is ugly and it's expensive to live here. I'm also 3 hours away from my university. So, if you're in the heart of Europe, make the most of it. Plans trips, go to all the fabulous places and countries around you, enjoy. It could be a lot, lot, worse.