What to do?

S

Hi, I had a few interviews for PhDs this year and unfortunately got knocked back. I still want to do one, but will probably be next year now, unless something comes up late. In the mean time I wondered what others would do, I have just accepted a lab job, is this better than doing a masters in the year. I thought it would be as you don't actually need a Masters and experience would look good, also if something comes up mid year I can leave a job, whereas it would be harder to leave a Masters. What do you reckon?

T

I think you are doing the right thing.. A Masters isnt essential for doing a science based PhD but experience is.. It will be good to spend time working in a lab to get a taste for research and life locked in a lab lol.. What field you gonna be working in?

S

Thanks, working in ecotoxicology

S

Hi, I think that working in a lab (if that's what you want to do in your PhD) would be much better than doing a masters (provided you have good enough grades from your undergrad degree - many funding bodies stipulate at least a 2-1 or a masters) - experience is much more valuable, and will give you a much better idea of whether you want to continue in that field of research or not. But you could always try asking the people you applied for the PhD's for their advice - ask them why you didn't get the posts, and what they'd recommend you doing to help get one in the future - they'll be impressed you asked. Also working in a lab, you may find that if they like you, they'll find funding for you to stay on for a PhD. I think it's a win-win situation! Even better if it's paid!