What to wear for an academic interview?

A

Hello,

The impossible has happened and I have been offered an interview for an academic position. I'm trying not to get too excited because the chances of me getting the job are probably not that high. So, I'm concentrating on my outfit instead: What do I wear to appear professional but still have a semblance of my personality?

I am female and generally wear smart-casual when I lecture (a mixture of skirts, blouses, cardigans etc.), however, I didn't know whether a trouser suit or a skirt suit would be more appropriate? I've never worn either before and always feel like they are very corporate but at the same time think that my usually smart attire is not quite smart enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of what to wear? I would be most grateful for any advice. I actually quite like clothes and if I get a suit I would like to get something that would last for a while.

Thanks for your help and for reading.

:-)

T

Personally I'd always prefer to be too smart rather than too casual, so for an academic post such as lecturing I'd wear a suit. A nicely cut, modern one doesn't have to be too corporate, you can actually get away with quite a bit of detail and character because it's such a smart item already.

A

Thanks Teek! I've just been looking online and have actually found some really nice suits that don't look corporate at all. I agree with you that it's better to be formal/professional looking so I think that's the way I'm going to go. Also, it probably won't do me any harm to have a suit in my wardrobe. Thanks for you help.

T

My pleasure Argh!
Hope you get the job :-)

A

Eeek, thank you. Will keep you posted.

W

I'm not being sponsored or anything - but get yourself down to Asda for a cheap suit. I bought a suit from there for a conference and a pair of plastic leather shoes - and I actually looked quite nice. Definitely felt professional. The thing is, I packed this suit in a sports bag and when I pulled it out there were no creases or anything. Must admit, I felt slightly academic wearing it as well. And with all the polyester, it's very difficult for stains to stick on the material. A professional look at low prices - can't argue with that.