What Uni is everyone at?

G

I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year of my PhD, and I will probably stay on in london when I've finished. However, I know that at some point in the not-too-distant future I will be back up in Yorkshire, as there's nothing like being 5 minutes from the open countryside!

G

At Imperial studying plant ecology (Not main campus) 3 months in.

South kensington students are arrogant. I did my undergrad in Yorkshire and it was perfect, masters in Scotland was great, but the South East sucks. The general public are cruel (I get corrected by folk in supermarkets when I ask for scones instead of scoooooones they`re also horrid to my scottish girlfriend - they mock her accent). Agreed, even the food is different (I had to drive 15 miles last week to find a chippie).

However, love my research and I enjoy my campus out in the sticks.

G

Beshoy, you sound just like me! I'm not a big fan of the south east but it is starting to grow on me. But you can't beat Yorkshire!

G

Beshoy, I think it's unfair of you to say that the general public in the SE are all cruel!! I'm not! I could easily say that having experienced no racist behaviour for my whole life in the SE (I'm indian origin) I moved up to ********** for a year and had a few uncomfortable experiences. I'm not going to say that all people in the North are racist though! I've also had the michael taken out of my SE-accent. Anyway, I think we can agree that Imperial-campus students are all stuck-up :D

G

I rarely venture yo the main Imperial campus, and hate it when I do! H, I'm of Yorkshire origin and have the miachael taken out of me all the time when they can't understand my accent. I just take it as light-hearted banter. My girlfriend is of Indian origin and she didn't like the idea of visiting my family home in Barnsley (near to Sheffield, folks, for those of you unaware it exists!) because of the racist remarks she said occured up there. But nonr of that has ever occured and she now loves the place.

B

just seen this, something that I had long believed, people of the north are more polite than the south (see my previous ramblings)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4362442.stm

(to findaphd team, sorry if you think im offending people if you wish to remove this post please do so. I know its not really following the original thread)

Hi Beshoy

I think we can let this one through as it's the BBC. Anyway for a lot of people Birmingham is in the North. I think if they'd have surveyed Sheffield they would have found courtesy levels went off the scale.

Have a nice day

D

Now that we're not as anonymous as we used to be, I may as well reveal my location: *********

DJW changed her mind about revealing her loaction - PostgradForum Team

J

am in manchester. anyone else in manchester?

B

Leeds. It is a top place and they really look after the postgrad students.

J

Just finished MSc at Hull (Scarborough campus)...Sweet! Abit too small for a campus which is cool for study but a bit weak on the social scene. Got PhD admission to Royal Holloway (Uni of London) for oct '06. Doing some field research at the mo in Uganda. Thinking about Leeds as well. Any advice?

H

it snowed in sunny ********** for quite a bit yesterday afternoon with big fat cold flakes.

V

I am in Cambridge, second year PhD in Social and Political Sciences.

L

Hey! Just moved to Sheffield to start phd. (And i must say most of the people here are super friendly!). Spent the last 5 years in Aberdeen, so i'm a little confused when people tell me i'm living in the north!

H

Hello Lilly, welcome to Sunny ***********! Which dept are you with?