What was starting a PhD like for you?

A

I am at the start of my PhD (Sociology). The area of interest is Drug treatment (addiction) and the deployment of power within it. I was sat with my supervisor yesterday talking about research methods and grounded theory, though most of what he said went over the top of my head, left me thinking am I in the right place. What I did notice, he wanted to take my research into a different direction, or rather add another dimension to it.

Overall I am really keen to push on. Though what I have noticed is that I dont 'feel' like a PhD student, mostly because I have just finished my Ba and wondering whether it is a big leap up, or whether it takes time to get up there, or where ever there is.

J

Hello! congrats on your PhD place... I am nearly at the end of year one and still don't feel like a PhD student and am always in awe of those who are submitting, as if I am back at the beginning of 'big school'! From conversations I have had it doesn't really seem like anyone really feels the part, but you get more adept at acting it out (eg, doing the research) and pretending! We are all just muddling along!

It is great that you like your topic, and if you have just started don't be surprised if it changes a LOT, and methods etc will definitely go over your head until you have done lots of reading and got to grips with it all. It all takes time - which is why we have three years and not 1. Hope this helps!

M

Hi! Just started in sociology too, also just finished BA. I found it a bit lonely so far, but my supervisor is very supportive. I dont feel much different than I did in May when I was finishing off my undergrad, I think I'm starting to find a good routine for managing reading and writing. How are you finding the work so far?

I'm working on socio-ecological case studies of communal farming systems, interested in customary land allocation and subdivision in peasant communities. Also looking at cultivation and husbandry techniques under different social systems (neo-feudal and communal).

A

Thanks for the reply
The ball is only just starting to roll so I am still in the phase of registration. My supervisor, or director of studies is very helpful when I can get a reply from him. The last time we spoke we talked about who else could supervise, as well as him. The one I have suggested is very helpful and always easy to track down.

I am interested in the deployment of power, not just in the traditional Foucauldian sense, but also human affect - why do practitioners deploy certain discourses, what is the affect behind the deployment. It is a grounded theory approach so my interest has to be kept as sensitive as I can and just go with the flow.

I work pt as a drug practitioner, so I am in the field, so to speak. As I said, I am at the begining and my supervisor wants me to just think about my methods and how I plan to uncover what I need to, and just start writing my methods chapter, mainly summarising grounded theory.

It is nice to get some identification.

S

Hi Addict, i'm just finishing my first year as a PhD student in Sociology. I found the beginning terribly daunting. But mostly, that was because I moved to a different country and away from my partner and friends. So starting my PhD meant getting used to the different coins, the logic of the transport system, the ways the bureaucracy works, etc. and meeting sooo many new people, while at the same time trying to keep social relations alive with those back home. It also provided the challenging task of orientating myself within British Sociology, which is different to Sociology in other parts of the world, and within the British educational system (what is my previous education worth, both formally and in practice? How does it compare with others?). It seems to me, looking back, that if you are already well settled where you are going to do your PhD, you would be spared more than half the challenges of the first year. So don't worry!

M

Yay sociologists!

Whats your research area?? I'm in Ireland and most dont want to know about anything environmental beyond social movement studies

M

Yes good luck Addict et al.

Am coming to the end of my Sociology PhD (thankfully). Despite enjoying my research and writing immensely, the discipline (imo) has never been more fragmented, especially theoretically, and there appears so far as I can tell to be a lot more emphasis placed on submitting something that fits the red-tape structure of "a PhD" than submitting something committed to the exploration of knowledge and the research-inspired discovery of explanations about changes in society / human behaviour.

Choose everything you write about wisely, there's absolutely zilch guranteed at the end of it (as we know), but following the "in" crowd (something I haven't done) will get you more success and opportunities in this sphere methinks.

Hope you feel like a "proper" PhD-er soon though!!

(Social Movement Theory is a prime example of that fragmentation by the way, ghastly.)