what would you do ?

P

Hi everyone

After being jobless for almost 2 years, I recently received two teaching offers - one which is 20 minutes away (by car) and the pay's so-so. Another is 40 minutes away but the pay is 40 percent more than the first one.
I am in a dilemma to choose the right job, more so since we have a two-month old baby, and another toddler. We really need the money though.
My other half tells me to choose the second one but I am not sure if I will enjoy the commuting.

What would you do if you were in my shoes ?

M

40 minutes is hardly anything in this day and age for a commute. For the sake of 20 minutes more each way, I'd say the second one is definitely worth considering.

I think you've answered your own question. 40 minutes extra travelling a day. but more financial security. No brainer to me.

C

From the information you've given, I'd also be tempted to take the one with the 40-minute commute. However, I'd have a few trial runs of the commute for both jobs at different times of day (to make sure the 40-minute commute doesn't turn into something three times that long at rush hour, for example!).

S

Quote From MrDoctor:
40 minutes is hardly anything in this day and age for a commute. For the sake of 20 minutes more each way, I'd say the second one is definitely worth considering.

I think you've answered your own question. 40 minutes extra travelling a day. but more financial security. No brainer to me.

Couldn't agree more. I live six miles from the centre of Bristol and I have an hour's commute in, each morning.

Besides, you might even enjoy the drive!

T

40 mile away

I

Are the jobs the same in every other way? Are they both permanent posts? Are they both full time? Are they both at prestigious institutions? What are the opportunities for career development? Etc. etc. etc.

If you're comparing apples with apples then I'd go to the closer institute and say that you've got a higher salary offer at XX and are considering it. Could they do anything to come closer to that level because you'd really like to work at this place because all the people are amazing etc. etc. etc. but if not you'll have to take the higher salary offer.

Edit: Obviously, if you do this you'll have to be willing to walk away from the closer place if they won't match the offer. But salary negotiations are perfectly normal.

P

Thanks everyone for the views.

Both are permanent post : one at a sixth-form college and another at a university college.

I actually contacted the first institution to negotiate a better salary, but the admin people told me that it was a management decision and nothing could be done about it.

So yes, I am going for the second option, not just for better pay, but also better future opportunities, flexibility,etc. Besides, I've been broke for 2 years already and need to pay off my debtors :D

Thanks again.

I

I'm guessing there will be better career development prospects at the University college so I think you've made the right choice.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you enjoy it :-)

S

Quote From Peppa:
Thanks everyone for the views.

Both are permanent post : one at a sixth-form college and another at a university college.

I actually contacted the first institution to negotiate a better salary, but the admin people told me that it was a management decision and nothing could be done about it.

So yes, I am going for the second option, not just for better pay, but also better future opportunities, flexibility,etc. Besides, I've been broke for 2 years already and need to pay off my debtors :D

Thanks again.

Congrats, Peppa! Hope you have a bright and illustrious future ahead :)