When/how is a stipend paid?

M

I have heard that this is institution-dependent, but I was wondering how and when stipends are paid. I'm guessing it's either one month in advance, at the end of each month, or three months in advance, but I'd be interested to hear if there are variations in this. If it makes any difference, I'll be funded by the MRC.

S

Hey!
We only get paid three times a year, on the last fridays of September, January and May. It's great to have over 4k in the bank but total crap the last month before you get paid! Damn those monthly bills!

T

I get paid quarterly from the BBSRC and monthly from the CASE partner

T

Quarterly by NERC straight into my bank account, and a big lump sum once a year from the CASE partner.

H

Quarterly from the EPSRC and a lump sum from CASE sponsors.

Quarterly - End of Sept, Dec (cant remember when), End of March, End of June.

S

Quarterly, upfront. Next one at end of september, yay!

B

Monthly in advance from BBSRC.

L

I'm going to get paid monthly in arrears. I think it varies from institution to institution cos I'm going to be on an MRC grant too.

L

Also, I heard that MRC grants are going up to 14k (outside London), has anyone else heard this? It was from a fairly senior scientist at the place I'm going to be starting my PhD next month so hopefully has some basis in fact!

M

That would be great if true, Laura. However, I heard it was from 12.3k to 12.6k (probably a cost of living increase).

L

Ah well, still better than a kick up the bum.
MRC website is down so I can't check.

S

quarterly upfront.. a pain by the end of three months!

F

can't help thinking it would be best to stick annual or quarterly payments in a high-interest savings account (maybe an online ISA) and set-up a standing order to yourself.

that way you get "paid" monthly, can budget monthly and even earn some decent interest too.

D

Thats my kind of talk freelancemermaid