When should i start applying for jobs?

P

I've still got 8 months to go but recently my supers have started asking me what I might do next & in my transfer viva the head of research was very keen to know what my post PhD plans may be. Someone told me the other day to start looking for work 6 months before I finish..what does every one think?

C

It can take 6 months to find a job. It depends on the job though. What year are you in, and at what stage of funding? It depends how much money you have to live off. Some people finish while doing a job, particularly starting a postdoc, but some jobs can stop people finishing or drag it out. If you'd got most of it done I'd definately get a job. Before then it's really financial. I've been living off an overdraft and my partner for most of this year. I got £240 from a 1 week temp job recently, so maybe short term work would allow you to get by. You can possibly claim jobseekers allowance/benefits if you are actively searching, I wasn't eligible

S

Hi, well I know some people who didn't start looking for a job until they submitted, and it took them around 6 months to find job/post-doc positions (within the science field). But during that time they had time to write papers and take a break! I started looking a year before I submitted (submit in 2 months), and have been writing post-doc proposals in the field I'd like to work in as it can take over a year to get the funding (we've had 2 failed proposals so far, waiting to hear on a 3rd application). Some people applied before they'd finished and got post-doc or jobs before they'd finished their PhD's which makes it very difficult to finish when you're working on something else already. A nice secure position perhaps, but neither recommended it having really struggled to try to finish writing on top of a job... though they're not in the financial difficulties I am... so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

S

In my field (social science) no one really takes you seriously until you've submitted

V

Well, do you like the idea of registering with a recruitment agency? It is a bit shame that PhDs compete with BAs, BScs, and the jobless for a post. But it might be quicker.

C

Unless you are staying in academia or an industry with seasonsal hiring periods(in which case start now)then leave serious job hunting for a while. Depending on your field you can spend a lot of time applying for jobs - it can be a fulltime job itself if your industry is fond of application forms. I did this and it delayed writing up in the first few months which Im paying for now. Ive had interviews but the fact I didnt actually have a phd yet and was still writing (and thus not in a position to give the job 100%) was a real issue at all of them.

Sending your CV to recruitment agencies as suggested above is a good idea though - theres no downside as they do everything for you - make sure they understand what you are after so they dont waste your time. Get on all the job sites email alert lists too so you dont miss some great job opportunity - just be picky about what is too good to miss.

My supervisors advised thinking about proper hunting 3 months before the end.

K

This is kind of related but a bit premature maybe. My boyf is itching to move to New York but as my PhD doesn't finish for another 3 years then I'm making him wait until then. I don't really know much about this kind of stuff but presumably if we're not married (which we won't be) then I need a job in order to get a visa? How difficult is it to apply for jobs in the USA while in UK writing up? Anyone have experience of this?

P

Thanks every one for replies. It's a tricky one.