where are the Cumputing PhDs?

J

Are you trying to find a ready made project, or are you thinking of putting in a proposal and then trying to get funding? If you find a department you like, try e-mailing the prof and ask if they could have an interest in this area. It looks to me as though you could have an overlap between biology and computing, as I think there is some use of computer modelling in that, so your idea might fit as an extension in that area maybe? Have you put in a search to find people interested in your area? You could then look at where they are and if they are active in research and see if they have any vacancies or projects about to start. anyway thats the way I would start to look. you could find someone who would supervise you, and then try to get funding on the basis that you have a place on offer.

C

I don't think it's fair to say there aren't many computer science PhD offes around, but considering the the variation in the field perhpas means finding one specific to say evolutionary computation can be harder.

I've also been searching for studentships however as i'am focusing on mixing both my biological background and computer science background i've been lucky in that there seem to be more opportunities arising.

Have a look at some of the 4-year Complexity science studentships, even though the first year is a masters it should allow you to develop a research topic suited to what you want to do in your final PhD.

What is your background in?, Bachelors or Masters degree?

I wish you luck, applying can be frustrating at times but the end goal is ultimately more fulfilling :)

Regards Mike F

O

I know it was just a spell check error but the "artificial inelegance" always makes me laugh...Is that like tripping and stumbling on purpose, to get attention, or accidentally on purpose spilling your drink on someone to get their attention? It sounds like a Bridget Jones move! I heard of a student whose spell check turned her attendance at the XyX Community College ( a place that gives out 2 year degrees in the US) to the XyX Communist College!!!! as she listed her degrees and attendance in an application!

V

I just had a look at jobs.ac.uk and there were a fair few studentships in computer science under the subheading of artificial intelligence; including two in Scotland (I think thats what you said you were interested in). From my experience, if studentships are available they tend to be advertised there so maybe if you cant find what you are looking for then it simply isnt available. But hopefully you can find something appropriate, good luck.

M

I know exactly what you mean !

D

The 2 on jobs.ac.uk in Scotland are actually just general adverts saying "we have projects" and I looked at all of them already.

Got a lovely standard crappy response from Edinburgh University that had next to nothing to do with my actual inquiry. They basically pointed me on to their website with various links.

D

My background. I got BSc AI & Robotics but never did the honors, I moved to do a 2nd degree but ran out of money before I could finish (or really get going). I then looked for work and got a job for a year at a company that makes laser systems for boats. Wasnt that interesting so did a MSc Information systems and finished with distinction and got the class (or school not really sure but I seemed to be about the only person to get it) prize. Computing suits me more the BSc was way to electronics based which didnt suit me. Having read this site the not having honors concerns me although my masters supervisor said i should be able to get a PhD without too much problems (unless he meant a pizza theres a pizza place here called phd...pizza home delivery!)

D

I am going to email some guy at Edinburgh since on his profile it says his interests are evolutionary computation just need to think of what to ask. kind of concerned it will just be ignored as spam or that he will see it as bothering him and pointless.

This post size limit is a bit frustrating. Surely it would make more sense to use something like phpbb which is free cheap and easy.

M

Salford University have a few computing Phd , JUST GO ON THEIR WEBSITE. I remember one was on video-gaming, funded as well (I wish I have done a BSc in computing now) , and the other ones was on software engineering !

M

I think they got one in your field as well (A.I)

B

You may not necessarily get a useful reply, it very much depends on the individual (some are very helpful, some play 'hard to get'). However, there is nothing stopping you from writing a research proposal and applying anyway.

D

Just as an update i got an automated responce filled with a ton of general answers to questions i never asked and kind of missing the question i asked... but never mind. It did seem to hint at actually emailing specific supervisors to ask if they have anything so now i just have to think of what to say.

C

Sorry to hear you've been unlucky so far, how willing are you to locate elsewhere other then Scotland?

As much as i'd like to stay in Bristol i would move to another city in a heartbeat if it meant getting the right PhD.

Regards Wolfe