where can i get support?

S

having serious problems with my supervisor.. the graduate studies advisor is his best friend and my advisor doesnt reply to my emails? any suggestions?

J

Hi,

have you tried approaching your advisor in person? that is probabl;y the next step forward. Is there no one else you can speak to about this? What about the head of the group?

J

if the problem is only getting replies to your emails, why don't you pop in for audio replies duting his/her student hours. i've tried that one a few times....it worked. trouble with my supervisors now is that they don't know a lot about my area of research and have abandoned me. they keep expecting me to submit work when all they do is disregard my ideas and confuse me further point me to the broadest of areas which are not quite relevant to my research. i have decided just to follow my own ideas. any of you got advice?

S

i get the feeling that whateever i say to her ( my advisor) will come back to him then he will be even more strange with me and thats the last thing i want. its the way he talks to me and is very dismissive of questions etc, but not sure how i can convey this to someone else, who is likely to tell him !

E

i have the same problem as you. Sometimes u just need to moan. Its difficult becuase you dont know who to trust cos everyone loves my supervisor. Its usually the little things that annoy me..!

R

Your advisor has an abligation to you and you are fully entitled to talk to her confidentially. I would recommend this approach. Sounds like you can't continue the way things are. Just take a deep breath and go and talk to her, i'm sure it'll be helpful and go better than you expect. Good luck!