Where to do a PhD??

J

Hi All,

I am a new user of this forum. Currently, I am working as research assistant at the Australian National Univeristy. I have completed Honours (with first-class) and in 2010 I am wanting to apply for PhD. However I am very confused as to how I hould go about it.

Firstly, I was not quite clear on the field of research I wanted to choose. Now that I feel strongly in pursuing research in Cancer therapy, I think it has become too late in the year to contact lab heads for a Phd position. Then I have standing offer from my current lab (where I did my Honours and now working as research assistant) for a Phd. However, the field of research here (early mammalian development) is not my first preference. It is interesting , but still not my first preference. Nevertheless, a PhD in this lab will benefit me in terms of the research experience as I will get to learn a lot of new techniques.

On the other hand, my parents have been insisting that I should look for PhD oppurtunities elsewhere in the world, such as US, UK, etc. So I checked it out: US takes 6 years + involves sitting GMAT (if I stay in AUS, I do not have to do GMAT and I'll be done with my PhD in 3-4 years). UK is one option that I have not tried, however I am not sure about the quallity of life.

As you may have noticed, I have severe apprehensions about this whole process. Can somebody please guide me!!!

Cheers,
Jerry

P

======= Date Modified 04 Oct 2009 16:07:04 =======
You're certainly not too late to apply for positions that start in September 2010, and some PhDs do start at different times during the year. It would probably be a good idea to look for cancer positions if that is where your passion lies.

I'm not really sure what you mean about 'quality of life' in the UK..life is what you make of it and you can choose to live in a nice area. There are plenty of affordable places you could rent in a city with a university, especially as a funded postgrad. I think there are plenty of green spaces and sporting opportunities to enjoy in the UK. Crime problems differ according to where you decide to go and may be similar (perhaps less than) in American cities. However don't decide where to go based on what your parents prefer you to do - a PhD is a great time for you to develop as an individual and be your own person :-)