Where to live in Newcastle

S

Hello! I'll be starting at Northumbria this autumn on a stipend. I've lived in shared accommodation for the past ever and I'm dying for my own place - even if it's tiny and a bit far out. I have a car which I'm happy to take up with me (I've been studying in central London so I haven't used it much). Can anybody recommend a decent area to look at renting? I don't mind not living in the most studenty area as long as it's safe. I have savings from my part time jobs and I'm working with a budget of around £500 per month but lower would be better.
If anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Thanks

S

A mate (my predecessor) lived in a flat in High Heaton to the east of Jesmond.

The student rental areas are Fenham, Gosforth, Jesmond, Heaton and High Heaton. Some live further out, but you don't want too long a commute.

I think Jesmond is £400 to £550 a month and that is probably the most expensive. Heaton looks like £300 upwards and is within reasonable walking distance of Northumbria (or jump on bus service number 1, which serves the student areas). I suggest you shop around on Gumtree and see what you can get.

Ian

S

Thanks - what do you think about getting a place in Tynemouth. It's only a 20 minute drive (I'm definitely bringing my car up regardless) and it's 30 odd minutes on the metro. I can get lots more for my money and I love the idea of moving somewhere coastal and quiet after living in central london for so long.

J

Tynemouth is a good option, but supply is limited, parking can be difficult, and it isnt quiet in the summer or on the high street. Much of what you will see advertised for Tynemouth is in fact North Shields, which is different from Tynemouth. Whitley Bay has plenty of options for accomodation but you need to be careful which street you go for (some lively bars).

Parking in Newcastle is mostly expensive, so either live in Newcastle and walk, or live out of the city centre and use public transport. The Metro operator do season tickets and student discounts.

Quote From JezC:
Tynemouth is a good option, but supply is limited, parking can be difficult, and it isnt quiet in the summer or on the high street. Much of what you will see advertised for Tynemouth is in fact North Shields, which is different from Tynemouth. Whitley Bay has plenty of options for accomodation but you need to be careful which street you go for (some lively bars).

Parking in Newcastle is mostly expensive, so either live in Newcastle and walk, or live out of the city centre and use public transport. The Metro operator do season tickets and student discounts.

Agree about Tynemouth as the cheaper accomodation is going to North Shields, plus Tynemouth itself consists of expensive properties. In Whitley Bay, avoid South Parade as that's where the bars are (though trade there has crashed now - the bars there are a bit naff to be honest). Whitley Road and Park View also have bars, but that's also the main shopping area.

Whitley Bay and Tynemouth are also on the Metro, with half an hour travel time into Newcastle.

Although some students do have digs in Whitley Bay, I personally would aim closer in and the High Heaton area should be okay where my mate stayed (10 minutes bus, 20 minutes walk to Northumbria).

Ian