Where to publish your PhD literature review?

A

Hi,

I am working on the literature review chapter for my PhD and I want to submit it for publication in a journal. My PhD is in the Health Sciences/Biomedical area. Has anyone successfully got their literature review published in a journal? Can you give me some tips about how to get it accepted for publication, please.

Cheers,
A.

P

Hi Anna,

I am 9 months into a FT PhD, I am a 'health professional' and have also submitted my lit review, as a commentary to the main professional journal. The online journal tracking thing says 'under review', so it wasn't thrown straight back, and can only assume they see as publishable!

I thinks its a great idea- start as you mean to go on!

Anyway-I struggled to skim down a monster lit review into a 3000 work article. The main feedback from my sups were to make in 'snappy', and whet readers appetite for the bulk of work I intend on producing. I think you need to be informative (layout the literature which already exists in your field), then scrutinize it- then finally drop the corker by saying how in desperate need area X needs to be investigated!

I had to be careful not to antagonise my readers and members of the profession, but I also wanted to gently ruffle a few feathers, get people to sit up, take notice and think- 'he's got a point- we haven't thought about X like that before'....

I'd look at a few relevant journals, see what their 'theme' is (qualitative, quantitative  or both), see what the editor(s) are 'into' and direct it at them (without compromising the message/content). Also check out similar papers which have previously been published in the journal (for structure, gaps, style etc)...

Not sure if I've helped much, but good luck and go for it!8-)

A

Thanks Phdee, they are great suggestions, very helpful.
(up)

J

Hello,

I am masters by course work student in australia. I am very much intrested in PhD and research. I am currently writing my literature review ( Information Technology Discipline ) . Actually i didnt get the answer, where to publish these reviews?? who will do this ?? how to approach them...Can anybody kindly help me with these please...

Thanks in advane

John

T

relevant journals in your field publish them, but you need to write it a review article, which is not exactly the same as writing a PhD lit review

D

How often do literature reviews get published? I have published review articles, but they were nothing like my literature review.