Where to put publication(s) on CV

M

I am currently applying for a PhD, and have a publication I want to include on my CV. My CV has the following sections (in order) - Relevant Employment, Education, Other Employment, Skills. Any idea where I put the publication in all of this?

I think it would be better to have a new heading for publications and call it simply Publications, even if you have only one entry. As it is an academic CV, perhaps the Education should be first, then publications, then employment so on...

N

It is common to make a separate sectiopn in the end where yuo list uor publications.

N

I agree.

(btw, sorry for the typos in the last post... )

M

I kinda like having my relevant employment first (it's very relevant, so I want it to stand out more than, say, A Levels). However, I'll definitely take your adivce with a publications section - it is only one, but I would presume that most PhD applicants don't have published work, so it's something I'm certainly not complaining about having to put!

H

I have to say I agree with 404, it is the norm to have your academic qualifications first on an academic CV and your work experience should follow straight after. Vice versa if you are applying for a job.

M

Hmm, ok. So Academic qualifications, then employment, then publications, then skills?

A

You might want to split skills into research skills (where you can list anything relevant to the project you are applying for, lab techniques, stats etc) and general stuff...just an idea. Good luck with your application. BTW, I agree with the others, separate section for publications (usually towards the end) and I'd put qualifications before employment too.

M

One step ahead of you on that one Ann - already done it :) Thanks forthe suggestion though. Have already sent off my online application, but figured a full CV and exam result breakdown wouldn't hurt so sending those too.

Matthew82,

The Prospects website has lots of useful information of putiing together a CV and has examples of real CVs as well.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Applications__CVs_and_interviews/p!eefmd