Where were you in your academic career when you first got published?

P

Agree with Si-Ki, in social science it's quite hard to get published in the 1st instance, and you almost need a PhD behind you before you're considered worthy of publication

R

I didn't publish anything during my PhD because I thought it would be too much of a distraction (I was busy gaining teaching experience too). Basically, I think you can either gain lots of teaching experience, or try to publish some articles, but it's impossible to do both unless you have a sufficient pool of independent funding (e.g. wealthy parents) to fund your studies for a lot longer than would otherwise be the case.

I'm trying to get published during my current postdoc. I'm aware this means my chances of securing a lectureship before September 2008 are thus fairly slim given the RAE and everything, but I'll just have to bite the bullet, as it were, and try to get by financially between June of this year (when my postdoc ends) and then as best I can, I suppose.

R

And, as an addendum, I am in the social sciences, so getting published is difficult enough as it is - it's not like in natural sciences where you at least have some option to co-publish throughout the course of your lab work.

V

pea: yes, it is much harder to publish as in natural sciences, but you not always need a PhD if your paper is good enough thanks to 'blind review'process.

B

@Nimrod, yeah, I used to get confused too, now i just think, 'm' (as in astro-M-y) for moons and 'l' for 'load-of-crap'