Which is more important? - university or professor

S

Hey everyone, I'm a masters student(engineering) in a tier 4 university (although i don't find it a bad place at all) in US, and am currently working on a good project with a young professor. I have no doubts that i will be continuing for a PhD, but the question is where?.... My professor has enough funds to advise me for a PhD, i am comfortable with him and he's very helpful but the only concern is that the university is tier 4, and i fear it may not be a great thing on my resume later on. At present i can really get into a very good school and i'm thinking of applying to a few top schools, but i fear running into a bad advisor (i dono how bad he can be or anything, just read a lot about how important a good advisor is, and how people suffer with a bad one).

Now the question is : since i'm convinced i'll have no problems with my current advisor, should i stay inspite of this being an okay university or should i really be going to some university which has a brand name ?.... just tell me if any of u are in the industry or academia about how important is it to be from a top school??

M

Shatha... we have a saying here that don't have different degrees from the same university. It looks cheap on your CV but many people do that. Its your choice.

R

MH, I would disagree with you... if you do your Masters at a top ranked uni for your subject with the best staff for that topic, why would you go somewhere different for your PhD, purely for a bit of variety on your cv?

K

I am completely with Ruby on this one...there is a rumour that it is bad to stay at the same university for more than one degree, but there isn't actually any evidence for this. You should go wherever the best people to supervise your PhD are, end of! I moved from a top uni to a uni a bit lower down the scale out of choice for my MSc and PhD, because the department here that I am a member of is actually a better rated department than the equivalent in the top uni, and the people who are at the top of their field in what I do are here. And remember, when you have finished your PhD, you will be the expert in your research. Post-doc positions will be looking for the person who has the best expertise in the required area, and which researchers they have been working with- I really don't think that they are going to worry about whether you have done two degrees at the same uni! Better to have worked with the people at the top of the field in a good department at an overall lower-ranked university, than work with some unheard-of researchers in an average department at a uni which is rated better overall I reckon. Worry about how good the department and its researchers are, not about the overall reputation of the university- average unis may have some really strong departments and top unis may have some really average departments- I have found this to be very true. Anyway, that's my take on it! KB.

S

I know established academics who did their undergrad, postgrad and a postdoc at the same university. What matters is productivity, which is measured by publications, so it's important that your advisor has a good publication record.

M

Where an earth did this silly rumour come from? I've only ever read it on this forum, and I always refute it. Quite simply we should chose the uni's that best suit our needs, and if this means staying at the same university for all degrees, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for the old chesnut regarding uni status versus supervisor, the supervisor (and speciality of the dept) should always come first, because without a decent supervisor you won't get your PhD! University status does have to be borne in mind, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor for your PhD university.

That said, the university brand does influence your employment. Eg. it's highly unlikely that a PhD from an ex-poly/new university (or even a red-brick) will get you into an Oxbridge faculty (no doubt I'll be accused of being a snob again for saying this (I'm not at Oxbridge btw)...but it's a reality); and I'm quite sure the same is applicable in the US (eg. a Tier 4 education is unlikely to open doors into Tier 1 academe).

P

Quote From MH:

Shatha... we have a saying here that don't have different degrees from the same university. It looks cheap on your CV but many people do that. Its your choice.

Why on earth would it look "cheap" MH?

B

shatha123 - Professor is priority full stop! If you have established a good working relationship, that is paramount ... facilities can be bought. A price cannot be put on established trust (and knowing how someone works)

As for the "rumour", what a piece of pish! Even if this is true, the time you will save from knowing where everything is in your college can be used to get a post-doc job elsewhere. You know the lie of the land and this will pay off in instances where you might need to chase up issues such as wages (you'll have Accounts on speed dial!!). As for the college being a Tier 4, in a PhD it is your work that is evaluated first thro' external means (journals etc.,). Forgive the analogy, but an excellent striker doesn't remain in the 2nd division - he will be transferred to the Premiership once his own value is seen.

I know this advice sounds cautious but a PhD is not a personal adventure - its a piece of intensive work and where any advantage should be utilised. Assuming you are young enough and keen to see the world, you'll get the travel in later.

Maybe you could meet halfways with your prof. Sit down and talk to him about it ... surely he will welcome your initiative and might go for co-supervision with you in another college (a drastic option but an option nonetheless).