which lab to choose

E

Hello everyone,

I'm writing to ask for advice. I've got a PhD scholarship and I'm really keen on a lab in particular. And its PI seems to be interested in taking me. So, what's the problem? This PI is very smart and famous, and he is highly demanding. He has got very smart PhDs and post doc, which are very independent.I alredy had an experience as master in another lab and I'm aware that I am not very smart as the others, but I'm really interested in science, in particular the research that is carried out by this lab!
It could seem crazy: I want this position, and this PI seems to accept me. But I'm not sure I can go there. I already had a little project for one month in his lab and I failed. And he looked disappointed even if he tried to hide it (note: this is my interpretation, he didn't say anything explicitly). Anyway it seems he wants to take me (why?!).
What should I do? If I won't go there I'm sure I will have regrets for all my life, but if I join his lab it's very very likely that I won't be able to face successfully this PhD, and I don't want to get stressed for 4 years thinking that I'm not good enough and I'm just a "burden". Is it maybe better to choose someone less smart/famous? On the other hand I really like this environment, even if it's scary, because I can learn a lot among these amazing people, PI included!

Please I need your advice! I don't know what to do!

Thanks

E.

H

Quote From enzyme

I already had a little project for one month in his lab and I failed.

In what way did you fail?

E

I didn't make it work!

H

Quote From enzyme:
I didn't make it work!

That's not necessarily failure. That's science. :D

Did you follow all the instructions given? The protocol? If so, and it didn't work, that doesn't mean you are a failure. It just means it didn't work, and you have to try again or find a different method.

You're may well be an able enough scientist to work in this PI's lab. But you have to make peace with the fact that a lot of times things won't work and it's about trying different ways to solve problems, without taking it too personally. PhD success is often more about perseverance than intelligence.