which one should i take?

M

Hey guys - I have received offers from both edinburgh and ucl/birkbeck (joint hosts) to take a msc in neuropsych. the former will be great for the experience (i already live in london and am keen to branch out)and of course is no academic slouch, but the latter will be arguably better for teaching and contact with world leading experts. i am keen to go onto phd (ie with funding) and was wondering if it would make any real difference in the end assuming my grades were good at the end of the year and the fact that both unis are essentially great institutions (rae 5 etc)...any thoughts? cheers ; )

C

i got rejected from the neuropsyc msc at UCL and Birkbeck a few years back! anyway did my MSc at Liverpool, and have been offered a funded PhD this year. I think any good masters looks good, though it does depend if there is anyone specific you would like to work with at either of the universities, as getting to knwo them during the MSc may give you a foot in the door to get a PhD place.

P

Depends on your subject area. I approached UCL/Birkbeck and they couldn't really provide me a supervisor in my speciality of neural ageing. I approached Goldsmiths who recommended a Professor in yet another Uni who had been with them who specilized in what I am doing. I start my PhD in Sept. So, my advice will be to think beyond MSc to PhD and your keen interest and take the Uni that best supports that area.