Which project would be a better choice?

J

======= Date Modified 03 55 2008 01:55:15 =======
Hi,

I've recently got two projects to choose for my PhD thesis from two different universities. The first is about breast cancer research, to study the transcriptional regulation networks in the disease, which includes both computational and web lab work. The other one is about identifying interactions between enzymes and proteins with machine learning methods. Both of the projects seem interesting and I found it becomes very difficult for me to make a choice between them before I really get into the work. However, I have to make the decision right now.

Which project do you think has a better perspective, from the project itself and from the future employment after four years, because I am looking forward to find a post-doctor position after my PhD.

By the way, I don't have web lab experience though, but always want to gain some experience, so the lab part of the first project seems good on this point.

Appreciate very much for your opinions!!!

D

Hi Jovoy, both projects are good! But I would choose the identification of interactions is a better choice. Many diseases arise from uncontrolled or enhcnaced protein-protein interactions, and if you can identify novel interacting protein, you may design a drug to block the interaction, potentially treating the disease.

Besides the project itself, you also have to consider the resources you can get from your institute or supervisor. You gonna spend your 3 or 4 years for a PhD, the work environment and the support from those people are also important factors that you should also consider.

Remember, doing a PhD is not just for experience and techniques, but also your networking skills with the others. Hope these are helpful.

C

I would agree with going for the informatics and machine learning project, i also was looking into computational biology projects and they certainly look a goo bet for the future. Also the techniques and skills you will learn from the machine learning part could prove usefull in other fields.

Regards Wolfe

J

Quote From cdrwolfe:

I would agree with going for the informatics and machine learning project, i also was looking into computational biology projects and they certainly look a goo bet for the future. Also the techniques and skills you will learn from the machine learning part could prove usefull in other fields.

Regards Wolfe

yes, I think both of the projects could be taken as a computational biology project. Even the breast cancer research involves array experiment and analysis, and gene identification.

H

If both projects interest you (and you have done the reading around the area etc), I would go for the one that will give you largest variety of lab/computer skills and this would be more helpful later on when looking for a job, be it in academia but particularly useful for industry.

J

I haven't done enough reading yet as it is just the very beginning of the PhD. Maybe a good supervisor is as important as, or even more important, than the project itself. Anyway, thanks very much for your reply!

P

Hi!!!
I would like to work on what topic I like...since u like both, the second one would be based on what my strengths on the topics would be....Coz, it would be really frustrating to start learning too many new things during ur PhD..but the computer based project seems like it offers a lot more scope , since u can work both on computers and in the fiels of biology....Yeah!!! and also go for the one with the most understanding supervisor...coz thats one of the most important things during a PhD....(up)Best of luck with everything!!