Which school

S

hi Sneaks! did you have a good day today :-)
I went to a small convent school and then went to a public (co-ed) school after GCSEs; it was ok.
Things were very "controlled" in the convent; I think the whole lot of us were really well-behaved; but back then we never talked back to our teachers, we were just like robots. The next school was more fun; with the boys in class there was never a dull moment. But I had more happy memories from my convent days. I dont think both schools had affected my chances in life in any bad way; but then again I also can't say if it had affected my chances in life in a good way.
Borderline affect :-)
satchi

N

I went to an all-girls grammar school and stayed there for sixth form, I did well in my GCSEs but not so well for A-level, and have done well so far in higher education, I think my teachers would be surprised if they knew I was heading towards starting a PhD (hopefully!) although they all seemed to have faith in me. It was quite an old-fashioned school with a huge academic emphasis, it was expected that you would go to university afterwards and get a good degree, in my year about 20 out of 180 girls went to Oxbridge and a lot went to red-brick universities, many did degrees like Medicine, Economics and PPE - there was a bit of a hierarchy according to where you were going to go to university. But then there was another side, a few girls dropped out and had babies, but they seemed to be forgotten about as they damaged the school's reputation...to be honest my school was a bit snobbish but I did like it.

I went to a new university to study Applied Psychology and Sociology, my teachers seemed to supprt my choice although new universities weren't really recommended, neither was studying the social sciences; A-level Psychology and Sociology were suggested as 'fun subjects' to take alongside more academic ones like History and Chemistry. I found my niche at university and was pleased to be pursuing my interest in those subjects.

P

======= Date Modified 24 Mar 2010 21:44:56 =======
Lovely thread :)

I was educated halfway across the globe, but here goes: I went to a private, girls school. I love my school to bits, till today, my teachers keep in touch with me till today. my history teacher emailed last week saying -

"PhDbug my dear - How are you? I know I will lecture here like an old teacher, which I am, but are you eating properly? You must look after yourself to keep your brain working child...etc etc.."

She is so sweet! Plus I was Head Girl and school had lovely pre-classes activities from clay modelling, to dance to debate to theatre to choir and the girls all had to take up at least two.

I made my best friends at school and most of the girls have done very well!

Oh and then I stayed on for the last two years of school and they had the most awesome humanities teachers. And then I did my first degree a tad younger than some pals (17 to 20) at a girls institution which was state, and unlike my school (which had an all round excellence kinda thing going), this was known for acadmeic excellence. Nothing more nothing less. So, it was a change from private to state and from tons of activities to just reading.

My school completely built me, and I love it to bits!!!

Quote From Ragingwitch:

p.s. My primary school was a lot worse; 1000 children to cope with so anyone bright was beaten down!

woah - my primary school at 80 kids in it and it was very rural so most of the time was spent going on trips to all our friends different types of farms and going to find tadpoles in the local river. Although my dad nearly pulled me out when the headteacher changed to a god botherer who made us draw scenes from the bible - my dad nearly hit him :p