Who has their viva in January?

D

You WILL NOT fail ...and even if you did unless there is something in the contract to indicate you must pass the viva I would think there shouldn't be a problem. Best of luck with the post doc(up)

when should I start prep? I'm scared of starting too early as I have an AWFUL memory and may forget everything! I have about 1 month

D

I started my prep a month before but my prep time was restricted to evenings only. I found by the end of the month that I was going around in circles and not sure what more I could do so I took a couple of days break just prior to viva day. Re-reading my thesis was the most time consuming as I also noted errors, put post-its in to mark key places, added notes for clarity and generally refreshed my memory. Once done, I checked for any new literature then I worked on key Qs, writing down answers for later reading and talked through my answers. Talking through the answers really helps you to express the ideas verbally as this is what you will be doing in the viva. My children and the dog really had an education lol.

D

If you are anxious then start preparing as this will help you calm down. You can only do so much as the examiners will have their way of doing things.

well I'm trying to get one paper from my thesis out for publication - hoping to write this up this week really, so may focus on that (cos that's kinda prep anyway????) and then go full swing into proper viva prep when I've made some headway with that.

S

I'd say me too but I haven't got a date yet:-s

I'm still trying to write my paper though;-)

ps.: are you sure you're leaving us? You don't really HAVE to... one of the many things I like in this forum is that there are people in all of the stages and some who have gone through it all. This way regardless of the stage where you're at there'll be someone who's been there before to help you out8-)

L

Noooooo Delta don't leave, as Skig says it's so helpful to have people at all stages on board! I'm only at the start of my third year so long way off Viva at the moment but I just wanted to say good luck to all who have imminent vivas (is that the plural?!) and you will all be absolutely great! (up) Looking forward to hearing your experiences!

And a happy new year to you all as well!