Who's doing the weirdest PhD?

S

I'm doing mine on a sexy topic - the politics of oil........

....well at least I think it's sexy.

M

Eska that's so interesting! And after all these years I have mocked him for it! I am going to email him now and ask how he's getting on with it. M x

R

======= Date Modified 19 Nov 2009 15:09:59 =======
I am just writing my thesis up, and I've spent 3 years cooling little gadgets down to -272.996°C, playing with cryogens and looking at quantum turbulence. Is that weird enough?!

C

Quote From Ragingwitch:

======= Date Modified 19 Nov 2009 15:09:59 =======
I am just writing my thesis up, and I've spent 3 years cooling little gadgets down to -272.996°C, playing with cryogens and looking at quantum turbulence. Is that weird enough?!

Sounds pretty awesome actually. Wonder how that would look in the 'dance your phd' contest 8-)

hmm - does it mean you have access to make ice cream really quickly? - my dream job :-x

R

Yes, I can make ice-cream in about 20 seconds with liquid nitrogen! There's no way I could dance my PhD either hahaha!

J

I could probably dance my PhD... In fact I may just do my viva using charades...

R

This is an excellent suggestion for a replacement viva format; I'm no contemporary dancer but I could sing it and then cry. Oh wait, I probably will cry in the viva anyway...

M

======= Date Modified 09 Apr 2010 17:02:15 =======
Geography.. hmm, weird?

N

i think it is normal - but apparently baffles others: 'experimental travel and anti-tourism encounters'...

H

======= Date Modified 17 Feb 2010 00:49:52 =======
I know a guy doing a PhD on the subject of 'Star Trek'.

T

Hey Huxley - I take it from your board domination that you're in for a late one too? As for that phd, star trek, seriously? Wow.
And I thought that my linking psychiatry with food allergies (via genetics) was weird!

H

Quote From teek:

Hey Huxley - I take it from your board domination that you're in for a late one too? As for that phd, star trek, seriously? Wow.
And I thought that my linking psychiatry with food allergies (via genetics) was weird!

Yeah yeah.

I haven't even started my MLitt.

Still have to get the homelessness, moneylessness, transportlessness situation sorted out first.

I'm just in here for the 'academic banter'.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/now-for-star-treks-enterprising-thesis/2006/08/27/1156617211732.html

A

Nice one Huxley. That's the kind of thing we were looking for. It's even worth a tweet me thinks.

P

I am doing a PhD in Computer Science on using textual analysis techniques to generate a high-dimensional representation of a webpage (in particular blogs). I am then using an object movement prediction algorithm to come up with a measure of normality of change so I can identify abnormally change incidents in a webpage.