Whom would you hire? Who is more employable?

M

Hi Everyone,
I have a question. Whom do you think is more employable?
Or
Whom will you hire?

1. A person with a masters and say 10 publications in the last four years in peer reviewed journals.

2. A person with a PhD but no publications.

regards
Metal

G

I would imagine if we re talking Uni's [and lecturing jobs] here it will be the latter. I have yet to see such a job that doesn't ask for a PhD.

M

You are right regarding teacing jobs but I have seen several teachers who hold B's or M's with an impressive record of research working as professors specially in economics and business and a few in engineering.

BTW, its strange that a piece of paper (a PhD) becomes more important than a person's abilities especially when they have been proven in the form of publications. No offence to anyone...this is just my opinion.

O

I completely agree with GolfPro on this one.

Even if it is not very logical, the certificate (PhD) does play a role. That's life, makes no sense but that's the way it is.

G

Yes its one of 'those things'. It will go in the Person Spec [must have or be near to completeing a relevant PhD], and those not meeting that criteria probably won't get a look in.

N

In my area (music) it is also not strange to see lecturers without a PhD but with lots of publications and a good academic career. In fact areas like music, management, drama (I suppose it's the case as well...) do not have an academic tradition as strong as (say) History or Biology, and some decades ago people would start their careers directly in industry and then progressively shifting towards research (not necessarily attached to an university). However, as these disciplines are now growing stronger academically, I think that the cases I described below will be more and more uncommon and at the end they will be subjects as anything else.

M

Regarding specifications in job adverts requiring PhD.

People who get hired on the basis of their extensive research (with no phd) usually dont apply for uni positions after seeing the job ads. They probably are offered a place directly because they become known in their field.

I wouldn't hire either of them. I would hire Johnny Depp. It doesn't matter if he doesn't have any publications.

M

I will hire you. It doesn't matter that you will always be associated with error.

oh really

S

um, in some subjects the trend is towards making what I think is called 'collective PhD theses' meaning you have a number of published articles on related topics that you then complete with an introduction, some short section(s) explaining the links between the articles, and a conclusion - et voilà, there's your thesis.
thus, if you really have a good track record of publications, you should be able to argue 'PhD thesis near completion'