Why did you choose to do a PhD?

A

I know this has probably been asked before but I'm interested in hearing the answers.

I decided to do one to give me a hand up the career ladder i.e. avoid being stuck in a rut. The only problem is I still don't know wich career to choose! I always thought by the time I graduated from my undergraduate studies I'd know :-)

A

I'm not currently in the country, I'm in China so at the moment I'm seven hours ahead of Britain (it'll be eight hours after this weekend). When I post a message it puts down the British time, not my local time :-)

A

China is a very interesting place, especially when it comes to the food. Not many places can you walk into the University dinning hall and see ducks served as a matter of course. Although I do eat meat, there are a lot of things I haven't, or can't bring myself to try.

D

The same reason as you. I want a career in research and it seems you need one these days to get anywhere. And 3 more years to being a student I couldn't exactly say no. As to the subject it only became clear during my masters and I've been refining the specific techniques I want to use ever since! It was just a natural progression after I had tried lots of different techniques/areas of interest within the subject area I found one I really liked.