Why oh why does everything take soooo long

B

Writing proposal, writing ethics application, researching area, waiting for ethical clearance, supervisory meetings, recruitment, seting up apparatus...............................

It is all taking so much time to do. I am bursting at the seams. I have a million and one things going through my mind at any given moment. Please tell me someone else feels this way?

B

:(

S

Yes, it's extremely frustrating, but (in my experience) it is always the case. I have a wonderful idea, need to order a part for my experiment, and can expect to receive it typically ONE MONTH later. This is one of the reasons I've decided that a career in academia isn't for me.

S

I feel exactly the same. I seem to be doing nothing but writing proposals when what I want to be doing is being out there in the field. All this proposal-writing seems so pointless because it will most likely all be different once I get to do some actual research... but still it needs to be done. aaargh!

C

It does my head in as well. Just getting them to reply to my emails with soem info is another story entirely.

S

literature review (invlolving all the reading, understanding, thinking, writing, editing, re-writing...) to be completed by monday; need to learn to use a new software package and analyse/write up some data by monday; piece together a lab talk for next wednesday...the list goes on!!!

I know how you feel Bazzab, its all too much!!

B

Well your right guys and like you sue, I think a like in academia is not for me. I am now contemplating (as I do every couple of weeks-but this one is a bit more serious) jacking it all in. I am going to start a new post up asking peoples opinion on my situation so have a look.

B

R

Hi Bazzab,

see what you mean. Had the same issue today: I rang 2 weeks ago to get in contact with supervisor; she said she would read my proposal and to ring again two weeks later. Now two weeks later rang again and the secretary told on she is on holiday, try again 11.04.2007!
What is this? In a commercial company you would be out of business I you would treat your customers like that. Or are we just "students" who must be happy to get some time with their supervisor?

J

"In a commercial company you would be out of business"...I have thought this many times! Mind you I think it's more a culture of laid-back-ness that affects people after a while (me included, I must say), rather than deliberate laziness.

R

Hi Juno,

I see your point that it is important to have time to reflect and think things over. On the other hand it seems a bit much if you are just waiting for weeks and nothing appears to happen. May be it is a matter of communication: If one gets explained why everything takes so long (had to help X, Y, Z, had to do teaching etc.) it would be easier to accept.
Often I think there may be a lack of respect?

J

Communication is important, I agree: I often think that one department does not communicate with another and that is the source of many delays. It's the same with many large organizations; try getting the local council to do anything in under 3 months