Why?,Oh Why? Oh Why!?.......

C

Does everything walk at a snail's pace over here?.
I coordinate research funding for my Department and i resposible for bringing ideas, writing proposals and in short, get money for the Department. But the thing is, there is so much protocol to go through. Each idea i turn in to a proposal has to be reviewed by my supervisor who now has to decide if we could go ahead with it(some have been approved by a visinting Prof. already) but he sure takes his time!! While he is doing this, application deadlines are looming!
If i had to bypass all of this, things would move a heck of a lot easily.

I am sure the snails are way ahead now.

J

I know, I know...so many hoops to jump through. Did you ever see that email joke that went around, about the element "Administratum"? (inhibits every reaction it comes into contact with, and so forth)

J

Here it is:

http://www.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/admin.html

C

That was hilarious juno. LOL, especially this part:

'The 312 particles are held together by a force that involves the continuous exchange of meson-like particles called morons'

What field are you in juno?

J

I'm in pharmacy. Endless health and safety regulations, of course, but also a nightmare moving money from one account to another, so ordering consumables for the lab can take ages. Everything has to be signed by at least 3 people, one of whom will always be in Mongolia when you need them.

C

It never ends, does it juno? I don't understand why everything needs to go through such (most times) unncessarry chain. Sometimes i wonder if other countries go through this same hasle we go through

Is there anyone from other countries who couls give an insight of their own department?

C

sorry for my typo there.

R

Hi Cryogenics, Juno ("Boterkoek"),

I see what you are saying and I feel exactly the same: I can't stand that everything takes ages! I do not believe that things have to take such a long time, often the reason is that someone has just left your proposal / letter etc. in a drawer and forgot about it or does not care, until after waiting for a long time you remember him / her about it.
In a the normal world one would say: Just leave it, I will go somewhere else, yet in academics one seems to be stuck with " the system". Really annoying and probably the reason why it takes ages to finish something!

J

Hehe...I tried to make boterkoek this weekend. It didn't work out.

C

You could try again and let us have some. Yummm...

J

You wouldn't want this. It was crap.

Anyone know of UK stockists?

J

Here's some virtual boterkoek:

http://images12.fotki.com/v241/photos/8/83773/1140958/Boterkoek-vi.jpg

C

That was lovingly tempting