why these con PhD institutions are around?

S

Apparently from a 'London college' you can get a Business PhD for £15,000 and only need a masters degree, nothing else is needed!

its long distance as the 'mother university' is far away.

some even get discounts on fees if they did masters at this college!

where does all our hard work go to? who do I complain to? Just feel worthless that I had to work so hard to reach this stage and someone else is getting it the 'easy way'. I thought PhD 's were immune to such deals :-s

B

No-one with any reasonable knowledge about PhDs (i.e. people in academia) would consider these phony PhDs to be real ones. So don't stress about it. Do your best in yours and be proud of it.

W

Bilbo beat me to it. I was just going to type that - almost verbatim.

D

Is it Belford by any chance?

8-)

S

My favourite place - I'm starting there soon doing a PhD in jelly bean counting 8-) I aim to have at least 7 or 8 within the next few months, just need to rob a few more banks first but I can't resist the idea of one crocheting place mats!

Seriously though Sheena, as the others have said they are worthless and anyone who's opinion is worth anything knows that - they buy a title the same as you can go to an auction and buy a Lord of the Manor title. It means nothing, is nothing to be proud of really whereas those of us who do it the proper way have something to show for it all at the end :-)

J

Anyone in academia knows that it is where you did your PhD that matters and who supervised / examined it. I've heard conversatiosn between people who have PhDs and they were asked not where did you do it but who was your examiner or who supervised you.

These bogus PhDs do get found out. I'm sure anyone who got one of these bogus PhDs woudl soon get found out with a few questiosna. And the point of a PhD is not just to pick up the piece of paper but the journey you go through to becoming an experienced researcher.

As for discounts on fees - that is not unusual - the university I work in offers graduates a discount if they decided to stay on for PG study.