Withdrawing Job Application - OK To Do???

B

Hi All,

Just a query ...

Is it unprofessional to withdraw a job application once it is submitted? In a nutshell ... someone I know has just applied for a lecturing post but they are not suitably qualified for this position (haven't completed PhD and have no publication record). So, rather than being associated with a 'weak' application (i.e. I know how small academia is, and people remember names!), is it better to withdraw now and apply for posts again once they are in a stronger position (i.e. have the PhD in the bag and a reasonable amount of publications under their belt)???

P

I'm not experienced enough to say, but my gut feeling is to leave it. It may be reviewed by someone in HR first who could just put it on the reject pile if the person isn't appropriately qualified... however if the job spec didn't specify level of qualification/experience (which I imagine would be the case if your friend applied as why apply if you're certain you don't meet the basic criteria) then nothing's lost by applying, all they can do is say no and maybe they will see his/her CV and think 'this person's worth keeping in mind for future'?

G

If they want it pulled ring up HR and they'll pull it for them. To be honest I think you're making more out of this than's there. Its not that much of a big deal.