work and phd-depression

J

======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2011 02:07:05 =======
I got the best job ever, however too much work and now so unhappy. Please advice.

I called off sick today because I am so unhappy with my work situation.
It is too much work and I cannot cope with it while doing my phd. I
have been confronted my boss multiple times that I cannot just working
12 hours and more everyday and not having time to study. He kept saying
that he understand and will give me less work but he always does the
opposite by giving me more work, I feel so unhappy and dissatisfied
with my work, school, and life.

My boss has a phd and he said that he understand my situation. Can you believe my thesis are not moving at all in the past 6 months. I will have a qualifying exam soon. I don't have to to study. What should I do?

Can you believe sometimes I thought I am getting depressed or will have
a mental breakdown

D

Hi Jun!

just to say that I am in the same boat, not quite as bad though. I need to top up my income with some really flexible work that I do at home. Last weekend was a nightmare. Had to move out and a deadline at work at the same time. I did a little bit of packing and a little bit of work, me and my laptop in a sea of boxes and scattered clothes. I worked all these days non stop, pulling all nighters, with a screaming partner over the phone who claimed that " for you all of these should take 30 minutes maximum", yeah right mate get somebody else to do this amount of work in 5 minutes... Then yelling for every little mistake he finds. Of course there are going to be mistakes, I haven't slept or eaten properly for the last 3 days, my eyes cannot focus on the computer.

My flatmate in the next room in his normal tantrum singing in a high pitch voice and banging the furniture. Idiot!

In all of these circumstances add the PhD clock ticking into my head, thinking of all the work I should be putting in the PhD instead. One more day away from the PhD, tick-tack two more days, tick-tack. Just thinking of the amount of work I must do, makes my blood freeze and my stomach explode. Why on earth do I have to go through these crap? 

Next day a meeting with the supervisor, I look like a junky, black circles and everything, a bit lost... He advices me to keep working up to 20 hours a week, get the extra money. And he is right. I can only imagine how it would be to find myself in the writing up phase, funding might be over by then, no money and so much work still to go.

No social life whatsoever, the only thing that keeps me from going mental is an hour swimming first thing in the morning, the passion to do this PhD and the hope that in some magic way things will become better in the future.

Try to work in a part-time basis, like 3 days a week, and put the other 4 in the PhD. Keep a positive attitude.

Big hugs, I know what you are going through.

S

you don't mention what your job is, but if it's in the UK, check your contract and there is almost certainly a maximum number of hours written in (often 40) that you are legally obliged to do. Beyond this you are allowed to work but are not required to work. Your boss cannot fire you for refusing to work beyond your contracted hours. Be very firm with your boss. Explain that you will complete your contracted hours and will work very hard during those hours, but that due to your PhD you cannot work overtime. Then, do as you say! Each day at 5.30 or whenever your end time from work is, go home. If there's something that's not complete then leave it. Tell your boss if you need others to help as you don't have enough time. It is part of HIS job to make sure he staffs the company with enough employees for the work load.

It sounds harsh (especially if you like your boss) but for the sake of your health you need to reduce your work load.

If your not in the UK then I'm not sure entirely on the rules regarding contracting, I know that in the US it's very unlikely to have a maximum hours written in.

Hope it helps