working & funded pHd?

S

hi, i have been wanting to do a phd for ages but as a single mum with 2 kids it has never seemed financially viable. i work in the construction industry and we have had a massive down turn since the recession. Its got me thinking about proposing that i drop my hours at work and asking if they will support me doing a phd. i am thinking work and get paid for 2 days and then also have the normal funded phd around 13k.

i see phds that are supported/ financially enhanced by business quite often

does this sound a viable plan? what havent i thought about?

L

It probably depends on the university, but depending on where you get your funding there is likely a cutoff of what you can earn on top of that. For example, I can only earn 2k a year on top of what I get funded, so very little and certainly not a part-time wage. If I were to earn more than 2k then the funding would be reduced by that amount. So I have no incentive to, with the university funding designed to get me to focus entirely on research.

Maybe this isn't the norm, but I suppose they see the average candidate as not needing both the funding and an income at the same time. Obviously, this isn't the case when you have 2 kids. Hopefully someone else has a more positive outlook for you. I take it if you are supported by a private company then you could have both sources of income.

S

Not sure if your business would support you; depends if they get anything out of you having a PhD. If you got funding then your stipend is not taxed and also, as a student, you wouldn't have to pay council tax. No idea how both of these things combine, but your 13k is worth a lot more than in a 13k job.

I'm not certain you would be allowed to work 2 days a week on a full-time funded PhD - there are normally restrictions on hours outside of PhD for funded students. Have you considered part-time?

Also, universities do offer opportunities, normally after the first year, to earn some money teaching and doing other jobs.

K

Hi great plans and I think you should go for it but after researching in depth about the funding I can provide advice......you are NOT allowed to work eg in a permanant job whilst on a full time funded phd prog. you can like the other post states in some circumstances earn up to 2k but you are not allowed a job as such. the earnings come from the teaching often and tutoring whilst at the uni...

I've come across people that did work and got caught out via national insurence and tax. they then had their award taken away coz simply you are being paid 13k tax free at least and there is no need to have a job, the stipend funds you.

Dont risk it. Go for the part time option, but as ive found few institutions are offering part time studentships and it will mean alot of personal research.

Hope this helps and best of luck