Working part-time

B

Hello guys,

Now, I've just finished my two year full-time Msc and I've been awarded a part-PhD studentship by a University in UK. My biggest worry is, I am an International student and I have to foot part of the school fees from my studentship so will end up living on residues. I am planning to take up a part-time job to raise at least £250 every month to supplement and I believe I will be stable in that way. Questions: Is there anyone who's in the same situation here? How easy or difficult is it? My supervisor is aware of my situation but he's not able to help any much. Please, advice...

Thank you

P

I work around 9 hrs a week and more in the next two years. Have just completed first year, and am hell benton a 3 yr phd (Depsite financial pressures) and concrete CV stuff (which has thankfully been happening). Must mention, I have a phenomenal supervisor.

Anyway, my work is RA work ona very relevant project. Working part time during PhD is phenomenally hard!

B

Hi PhDbug,

Thank you for your reply. I am also planning to do around 9-10 hrs a week and I should be comfortable that way. My envisaged supervisors seem to be understanding and they are very much aware about my case. My PhD is in Engineering.

Regards

S

I'm just about to start working around 10 hrs a week as RA as of, ermm, this week! I'm fortunate in that my job will be based in the dept and is closely linked to my Phd work, but I have no doubt that it will be extremely hard work to keep everything going. To date I've been working 3hrs a week and that has been hard enough, especially when deadlines are approaching. I do think though that most supervisors have experience at some level of the real world and realise that to successfully complete a Phd food a few times a week and a roof over your head is very helpful, and if you aren't getting a full scholarship with a good maintainence grant (and even with that!!) then just surviving is hard and you need to work, end of, unless you are very very fortunate.

B

Hi Stressed,

Thank you for your email! I am also hoping that I could get something within the department. My strategy is to literally keep my eyes and ears open and grab any chance that comes along! Otherwise, I really do like the project and it's eventually what I've been yearning for all a while! 9-10 hrs a week would be sufficient for me.

One last thing-Politics this time! - Why does the UK charge International fee especially to research students? Isn't the research we do good enough for the UK economy? I did two visiting semesters during my MSc in Spain and France and there is nothing like International fee- actually, in the rest of Europe, students are students no matter their country of origin!:-s

S

Benm

Not to disregard the quality of the research undertaken elsewhere in Europe, in particular the universities you attended, but the answer to your second question is 'because they can', something of which you are active evidence. Rightly or wrongly, UK HEIs attract significant numbers of international students, and unlike the comparable US institutions do not have significant private incomes - so they get cash this way...

You also have to look at the flip side for UK students. We have to 'deal with' lots of PhD, Masters and Undegrad places being taken by international students because they pay more. Some top places (in particular LSE is known for this) actively discriminate against UK students to ensure a diverse student body and higher income. Unfortunately the choice is either to make everyone pay more - or to make those people who can't vote in this country pay more.

;-)

P

======= Date Modified 26 May 2009 18:39:37 =======
======= Date Modified 26 May 2009 18:38:34 =======
Hmmm, Benm this thread will have a long life I think, for whenever this issue comes up, everyone has some side of the story to share. Mine now. I am an intl student, and I am doing a very non-intl PhD. My work is with British people, has absolutely nothing to do with my 'home' country/continent anything LOL. The funny thing is, when I tell people at meetings about what I'm doing and they are interested and ask where is the study based, the moment i say UK, there is often a flicker of dismay...(implying Oh, so it's not in some exotic place somewhere!).

Anyway, that was a distraction, sorry. Funds. No, I am an internatioanl student who could "show" funds to the embassy for my visa, but I have not come with funding. I have applied for bloody EVERY scrap of money I am eligible to apply for, I have worked my permitted 20 hrs, almost every week, I have and am surviving on negligible NOTHING to make this work, for it was trmendously imp for me to do THIS phd at this UNI with THIS prof. And for that I gave up 5 funded places.

But alas my deicision happned on 19th june last year, and my uni gave me as much money they could. this year they gave me another scholarship. And I am working. I will take up another job, any job at all.

SO for 2009-2010: I have a 5000 quid scholarship, am applying for departmental aid (3k quid 4k quid??) and using savings from my first year's work (2k quid) to scrape together tuition. (NO money from "home"). OK rent... I am living in a student hall (my job will pay my rent). Ok food: I have no answer....another job? Where? How? And social life? HAHHA.

So you see, I was not a golden goose for my uni (which is apparently renowned for seeking out many golden geese). Of course it is also renowned for seeking out excellent PhD students, especially the renowned profs. ANyway, all I want to say is that I am struggling. I am tired. everyday.

I have intl tuition fees , rent and negligible living costs (just some meals) to organise for myself. And my home currency converts 82 units into 1 British pound, and I could technically wring their last penny. but would I (or anyone else)??

But to be fair, my situation is an exception. I see many intl students who are funded from home (not scholarships, but just FUNDS) and who breeze in and breeze out and write their phDs about their home countries and go back or do something else...

So, I would agree with sleepy below. And I would warn you, as a very hard working, non-home funded, non-rich intl. student, that what I am doing, is phenomenally tough, depressing and DRAINING.