working with postdocs

J

Hi
I've been lurking around the forum for almost a year now, and now it's time for me to complain.
I have a question about the PhD student - postdoc work dynamics. I guess it differs from place to place but anyways...I work in a very small, relatively new department, with just me, a postdoc and supervisor. The postdoc has been appointed (unofficially) as my co-supervisor. Now the problem I have is, that while he is completely involved in my projects, and I update him on my work etc, when I ask him about his experiments, and want to know what he is doing, he does not want to share...he is discussing his projects with the sup, I am the student, I will hear all about it when he presents his results at an external seminar in a few months. I dont find this normal, I was hoping for a more stimulating and exciting environment, seeing what other people are doing and how they are planning their projects, but it is not happening. Is it just me, or is this normal? Maybe it bothers me more because I am the only student there...and an older, more grumpy student.

R

Anyone with experience got an opinion on this?

A

Had a similar experience with my postdoc but my supervisor has and is managing it really well. Would love to know what other people's opinions are. PM if you want to talk some more.