Worried about failing viva

C

======= Date Modified 02 49 2009 22:49:14 =======
Hi,

I have my viva in a few weeks and I'm feeling pretty apprehensive. I've been thinking about some of the comments my supervisors made when I went to submit the thesis a few weeks ago. My primary supervisor is more familiar with the work and its merits than the second:

- My primary supervisor remarked that my thesis was definitely not a heavyweight, and the amount of data was below average, however it was "high quality". I guess this is true -- I had some pretty major personal problems during my PhD and could have done more, but at the same time I feel just as capable as any other PhD student.

- My secondary supervisor asked my primary supervisor if they should order some champagne. My primary supervisor didn't reply and looked like he was thinking of a response. I said "well that's assuming I'm going to pass!" and my primary supervisor looked almost grateful, as though I said what he was thinking.

- My secondary supervisor said not to worry as I got a publication and it was refereed by 3 different Professors who all ok'd it. My primary supervisor basically pointed out that there are different criteria which need to be met in order to pass, and being published just ticks one of the boxes (i.e. the work is worthy of publication in a peer-reviewed journal).

On the plus side, I'm fortunate in that the one paper we published was picked up by the media, newspapers, New Scientist, etc. However, my primary supervisor does seem to want me to be aware that there's a question mark next to the question of whether the work is 'substantial'. There is scope to publish another paper from the thesis, however my supervisors want to hold on to the data so we don't get "scooped" (the follow up experiments are pretty obvious). As it stands, therefore, there is just one publication though it is a pretty good one.

Failing is really not an option, I have a postdoc lined up and have no plan b - in fact I can't imagine doing anything else. It would be a complete disaster as I've spent 4 years on it and would be horrified to get anything other than a PhD. What exactly does substantial mean anyway - is it just defined by the examiners? If they fail me I will march up to the vice-chancellors office and create a scene I swear.

C

Would appreciate any opinions good or bad, thanks!

H

Hi Cleverclogs,

just wanted to show some solidarity really as my viva is in 13 days time :-(

My supervisors have never really talked about my work in terms of substantial/insubstantial but then I'm in social sciences and my supervisor passed his thesis despite only doing 6 interviews. As I understand it it's very difficult to fail outright and from what you said it seems more likely that they'd ask you to do some more data collection because what you've got isn't enough to justify your conclusions. Having said that I think almost every viva includes questions about how the findings justify the conclusions and it's more about giving a robust defence.

Is it possible that you can pin down the sceptical supervisor about exactly what he thinks the problem is - it must be something specific - and then you can prepare a defence. Maybe you could ask for a mock viva so he could help you prepare to answer the difficult questions. It seems really harsh that he's happy to insinuate flaws in your work but not willing to help you overcome them.

Good luck with it all.

T

Is your primary usually a bit reticent about these things? I know that can be some people's way.
The bottom line is that he is almost as responsible here as you, and in fact it reflects a great deal on your supervisor if you don't pass. Because of that a supervisor shouldn't even let you submit if he thinks your thesis isn't up to scratch, and he certainly shouldn't be passing all your work, only to throw unnerving hints at the 11th hour. I'm never sure what is deemed substantial "enough" myself, but quality data is more important than a mass of half-baked research, and a lot more pleasant for an examiner to read. You've got publications and you have a postdoc already lined up, so you're clearly capable, hopefully all that will come through on the day :) In the meantime, if you already know the work there's not a lot more you can do, so try not to drive yourself crazy worrying.

L

Hi Cleverclogs, I'm assuming your viva is very close now. Just to say Good Luck (up)