Worried about knowledge

M

I graduated last july (2006) with a 2:1 MChem chemistry degree, at the time I didn't want to do a phd but now after a year working I miss academia and I'm considering doing a phd. I haven't found one which i like to sound of yet but my main concern is whether I've forgotten too much chemistry to be able to do one! my question is, how much knowledge are you expected to know when starting out in your first year?

O

Very little. Obviously enough to write a proposal, perhaps get through the interview stage and get accepted in the first place. But from your PhD start date it is expected that you acquire knowledge, not know everything already. I spent the first 16 months of my PhD reading only.

Z

Not a lot - i was out of academia for 9 years before starting a PhD, so i wouldn't worry.

T

I wouldn't worry.. I was out of academia for 2 years before I started my PhD and my undergrad degree didn't cover half as much of the stuff I actually do now. As long as you know the basics you'll be fine :o) My only advice is if you don't know something or don't remember how to do something then just ask, its much better to potentially look a bit daft than to mess things up lol.

C

youre just really expected to know how/where to get knowledge when you want it - not to have it already - it does depend on your PhD though as mine expected a fair bit of prior knowledge and experience from the outset. As you are a fairly new graduate though your BSc just really shows them that you have the ability to learn, and that you have a relevant grounding - they wont expect it to inform much beyond that. As long as you swat up a bit on the specifics - the principal current research in the subject, think about what you have done that is similar or show them how you managed your dissertation at uni so you can show you are enthusiastic at the interview about that particular PhD (rather than phds in general) you'll be fine.

Once you're in you have months to get a handle on what you're doing and what you need to know to do it. I spent the first four months reading before deciding to radically change the project direction anyway..

S

I'm another that was out 2 years between my Masters and PhD; like Tricky says your undegrad won't have covered a fraction of what you'll need for the PhD. Even if you remember the material, you're going to be using it in a much more sophisticated way - it's like starting from scratch even if you think you know it!

M

I decided to apply for a PhD in the end, and I was just offered it yesterday! I start in September, guess I better start swatting up a little bit at least.