Worries about supervisor

C

I am 4 terms into a PhD in Engineering, and have grave concerns about my supervisor. He made life miserable for his previous student (though he still graduated), and didn't write any reference letters for him. His other student is just finishing now, and until 6 months ago, had an extremely good relationship with the supervisor. However, since that time things have seriously unraveled, starting with a paper editting process from hell, followed by barely providing any feedback on his thesis until the final chapter (a week before the deadline), where the supervisor blew up, wouldn't talk to the student for a day, and told him that he wouldn't write a reference letter because of a lack of "respect". Unfortunately, my supervisor is hard to communicate with due to impatience and getting caught up in minor details, and I am basically convinced that at some point, I will "disrespect" him as well in the course of normal communications. I have had some difficulties comminucating with my supervisor, as he is extremely impatient and getting him to see any big picture things is impossible, and see basically every complaint that my fellow student has in my interaction with him in the 4 terms so far.

Now, I was in the middle of writing my comp proposal at this time, and this gave me serious doubts about whether I should continue. I have no idea how to deal with the situation, since he will not react well to anything I have to say about these issues (and I basically feel that I have to be willing to quit before talking to him about it). If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

A

hey canada guy, i just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel!! I'm in the "lucky" position of havnig 3 supervisors, all expert in various aspects of my project. I am currently dealing mostly with 2 of them, one of which is a bloody nightmare to say the least. the nice one is the main sup, the evil one (my term of endearment for him these days...) is the one whose field in currently working on. My nice sup has developed into a wonderful mediator between myself and evil sup, as he knows that I'm verrrrry close to upping and leaving! Evil sup is quite old fashioned, and like yours, has a tendency to get caught up in minor details, is impatient, and is just nasty when giving feedback. He has even told me I'm the least important person in the lab, my work is least important blah blah blah. However nice sup realises this (as I told him..) and so does a good job of keeping us from killing each other.
I presume you have another superisor as most unis require at least 2, so what relationhsip do you have with ur other sup, and what relationship do your sups have with each other? Would it be possible for you to have someone back you up when dealing with ur supervisor? It's difficult talking to sups about these things as many of them take it as person insult, but the main thing you have to remember is that you just need to find a way of working together, and examine his whole personaility to see what you can use to your advantage and what you should avoid. Be very clear with him about everything you do and in all discussions you have to try and avoid any misunderstandings which can be the beginning of the end! All the best of luck!!

C

I only have the one supervisor (which is the norm in Canada I believe).  I will have a committee for my comp, but the current (nearly done) student got some flack from my supervisor for "consulting too much with their committee" since my supervisor feels that you are HIS student.

My supervisor is often fine (it is almost like there are two different people in one, I really like the one side, and really hate the other).  The problem is that at times of higher stress and when say reading over some of my work (alot of math), the bad side is the most common. I would like to get a dual supervisor set up, but I don't think my current supervisor would be willing to do so (not positive).

A

Just came across this website last week unfortunately - four years into my humanties PHD now and chewing the carpet in desperation of getting this albatross out of my life. Hindsight is a great thing but if I had taken a longer and more adult view at this supervisor set-up in advance - and the unatural level of claustrophobia that this relationship of course entails - I would not have touched this kind of post-graduate qualification with a bargepole. I truly empathise with the raft of posters enduring similar stonewalling that has no connectivity with the modern world and the crazed pace of 21st century life - but then again after massive outlays in money and time who wants to bring it to closure without a lifetime of regret ahead? It would also appear to me that all research students respresent are sops for academics' frenzied egos. I see the whole experience essentially as a huge misjudgement on my part and as having added literally nothing to my employability.

G

Good points Ant, spot on - big part of the reason I left mine. Didn't see it helping my employability and disliked academia - also never got on with my supervisor! Let's face it, unless you want to do research you'd probably be best going into the world of work - I think I've INCREASED my chances and have met more than one doctor now who wouldn't recommend pursuing research.

Ended up deferring to MSc but unfortunately my old supervisor is still down as having to mark my MSc dissertation now - he thinks there are no more ties! TBH I don't know if I'd want him to be marking it, let alone be involved... then is it up to me to find a new supervisor?? The institute in charge don't seem to have a grip on the supervisor situation - total farce. No idea what I should do now - I have contacted the people in charge to tell them about the supervisor issues.

Wish I'd just got a job straight after getting my degree!

P

Hi,

I feel it very necessary to now throw some positive notes in. Supervisory situations are usually average/neutral, and there are horror stories and delight stories around as well. Please consider if you would have quit your PhD had supervisory problems not emerged, i.e. were you or are you sick of the research itself?

Now is not a good time to answer this questions for now you shall, in all likelihood say Yes! I suggest, sitting down and listing down what you can indeed do, in taking your work forward, meeting the deadlines and emerging succesful in this, with or without overt supervisory support. (yes, many have done it, and I know many who meet their sups twice a year and go ahead to stick to it and do well).

Since he IS a difficult person, do not worry about what has happened with others, and could or could not happen with you. Set yourself targets, manage your own work, expect a bare minimum from him, and yes, pl realise that one person cannot determine your love for what you do , this way or that.

Meet with others in the programme, see what they are doing, see how they separate the thesis itself from the one supervising it (or obstructing it). Ask yourself how many of the problems you list above are things that have already happened with you, and how many are trends that you anticipate from what others have experienced.

Manage your research, it is your thing, it is your work. It will pay off. As you can see, there are many who have decided to leave and are happy with it, and you have heard their views.

Here are the views of a person who thinks a PhD is a very very trying and testing period and is essentially brilliant. The supervisory relationship is crucial but not all important eveb if it may seem so at times. And no, this is not an 'unreal' world and the 'real world' of 'work' out there more real than research.

i work in a department where research, industry and policy liaise at the highest of levels, and cannot for a moment accept this un/real distinction. having heard both sides, make your decision, and good luck!

A

while i think bug has some pretty good points, i think there are some definate differences in supvisor-supervisee relationships between science and the humanities. A science PhD is very much dependent on the expertise and assistancce of at least one person other than youself, which usually takes the form or the main supervisor. I believe it is simply not possible to be so independent with a science based project, as there is so much interdisciplinary and inter-departmental collaboration, which is often promoted by the university and scientific commiunity as a whole. Having read many posts on this site about supervisor issues, it is mostly in the science field that these issues occur and have the biggest impact. That is not to say however that there is no way of dealing with a poor supervisor. I know people in my own office who have submitted and obtained their viva without one supervisor even reading the final thesis. The issue here is the extent to which canada guy relies upon his supervisor, which is often detemined by the nature of the project more than anything else. It is a valid point to consider how you would feel about the project without these supervisor issues, you have done 4 terms already and it would be foolish to quit now without considering all your options. It doesn't seem like you want to quit canadaguy, simply just find a way of sorting out the situation. I don't know much about how PhDs are managed in Canada, having just one supervisor seems a bit difficult, but I think you should have a discussion with him about what work you plan to undertake in the coming terms, and how much input he is able to provide. Try and let him know that you value his supervison and that you do respect him (massaging the ego slightly! ;-) ) but let him know that it's still YOUR project, and that while you may disagree with him on some things, it doesn't mean you disrespect him! It's like the Godfather! :-)

A

one last thing, don't worry about what may or may not happen in the future, you might end up agreeing on everything and if you don't, you will find a way of dealing with it then, it might be tough, but if you really love your topic, and you really want the PhD, it's doable :)