Would you do it again?

X

I must admit, I'm quite nervous about post PhD life. I'm doing a PhD in the Arts and Humanities and I've heard it's fiercely competitive, acquiring a lecturing post.
A question for all of you: If you knew that you wouldn't get a lecturing position after the PhD, would you still do it?...because that's a thought I'm trying to contend with at the moment. Any feedback from you guys would be most welcome.

Q

“If you knew that you wouldn't get a lecturing position after the PhD, would you still do it?”

Putting it like that, the answer would be no. But I like to take things as they come. Many things can happen in three years – different opportunities can arise, you can’t predict what will happen to your health, your family, etc. I like to take each day as it comes and not speculate too far like that. But yes, I dream of an academic job and I haven’t even started my second PhD yet, hee hee (qv. the thread “I was forced to quit my PhD by both my supervisors”).

My dad recently told me “stay in that field. This field is going to be taking off in the future. Then you can sit in a nice comfy chair in your own office and fart, just like I do”. (He is 70 now and is still working… he took the industry route).

Q

My dad is very charming… (NOT) but the idea of having an acadmic post at the end of a PhD does drive my motivation for doing it in the first place. I know, I’ve seen the statistics. And no, I’m not deterred by them. But then again, I haven’t started yet. I may still change my mind….

G

I got my PhD ten years ago. Yes, it was a slog; yes I had no money; yes, I fell out with my supervisor and yes I nearly gave up (several times). It was worth it. I now have a fantastic job - I could never have dreamed of this before - and there is no way that I can regret any of it.
Jenni - have you considered that your 'long dark night of the soul' comes from your longing to do well and the depth of analysis that tells you what needs to be done. Take it as a sign that this is how it has to be - sometimes. Hang in there, this too will pass.

B

Although I accept the above posters experience and concede that people DO get fantastic lectureship/ professor jobs (well somebody has to) academia has changed in the last 10 years. The supply of doctoral graduates has increased in most fields whilst the supply of academic positions with prospects has stagnated.

J

My dad recently told me “stay in that field. This field is going to be taking off in the future. Then you can sit in a nice comfy chair in your own office and fart"

QT - tell your dad he just became my hero - although my dad can belch for Europe.

Q

LOLOL!!! Dad's are great aren't they

S

this information is so helpful---can you all elaborate more on whaat went wrong during your experience and what specifically you would do differently to correct the situation? i'm in an awkward spot...

F

surely if you look back at the expereince and cant see how you would change anything then something is wrong! I have been chatting to the years above me and everyone wishes they could have changed something, not done something. I think its normal to look back and wish, you have the experience to recognise it which surely is what getting a phd is about. so, even if you stay in science or leave, without the PhD you may never have even made those choices you wish you had. Hope that makes sense :)