would you put one of your chapters on the net?

J

hi. am having a presentation soon and we are required to submit the paper in advance so that it can be put up on site. trouble is... everyone can literally have access to it on google. am afraid that this is going to take away the originality of my work, when some nerd somewhere decides to grab and develop my idea. would you put up your paper? or am i just being paranoid?

J

clarification : it's gonna be put on my department's site.

E

dont u have an eprints system that you could use?

A

Is this just an abstract or literally a whole thesis chapter?

J

its a whole chapter and slides to explain the chapter. what's an eprints system?

E

why not check to see if your abstract/slides/paper is going to be put on the intranet .... cos then atleast that way itd be secure somewhat.

http://www.eprints.org/

J

am already sure that they are going to be put on the internet :). everyone elses have. i haven't handed them in yet tho. any other constructive (no offence intended)views? Lets not dwell on institutional matters.

1) the paper i am submitting is an entire chapter ( about 10,000 words)
2) yes, it WILL be put on the net. it can be accessed by anyone by simply doing a searching my research topic on google.
3) I want your views so that I can decide whether or not to air my reservations on it.

:)

my apologies on anyone that might feel offended by my clarification - no pun intended. i need to know your views urgently, which is why I might sound like am not appreciating any i am sure stuff.

best,
jojo.

J

another clarification: our research groups site is accessible by anyone. coz it has an entirely separate web page. the usual means of accessing it tho is through the uni site. however, when we're off campus, we can access to its content by searching for its name on google. hope that makes things clearer ^;^.

E

i didnt say internet... i said intranet....

if everyone else's is up there... then follow the trend or speak to ur supervisor. Or put the slides up and say if n e one wants the chapter they should email you.

E

how many people will be searchng for your topic on google?! not that many i am assuminmg....

S

do you actually have the option of refusing?

J

thanks sue. i have an option of not handing in my paper. am thinking of doing that and handing out a handout for my presentation. a few people have done that and protected their work. trouble is, when you give handouts, you can't really get as good feedback as you would get had the attendants read the paper in advance. on how many people would search for my topic on the net....loads. the general area where my topic lies is interdisciplinary and a hot top in the humanities at the mo. so its obvious that if i put it up in the net, many people will definitely have access to it.

A

How about asking if the document can be password protected? You could then e-mail the password to those who are allowed access.