writing an abstract for a conference paper -1st time help!

P

Hello all,
Its a last minute thing, I've just been alerted to by a colleague.
I have to get in a 250 abstract by the end of the day & both my supervisors are away.
Any hints /tips?
Do I need to do a bibliography or a list of indicative reading if I don't have any quotes in the abstract.

Thanks
xx

W

Hi Pea, I think the key is not to be too specific on exactly what you will cover as that will limit you when you come to write the actual paper. Simply aim to give a flavour of your paper and interest the reader. I don't think a bibliography is needed unless the organiser specifically requests it. I cant't remember your discipline...I'm in social sciences and normally do something like this:
1.Catchy title
2. Sentence or two setting the scene (e.g. since 1970s, much research attention has been focused on...etc)
3. What research has ommitted to cover/ limitations with their approach
4. The focus of your paper miraculously filling this gaps (e.g. Drawing on X, this paper explores Y.)
Hope this helps, good luck!

P

Ace. I'm So-Sci.
xx

W

Hi Donut, nice to meet you!

P

Many thanks for your advice with this writingup. The deadline was 5pm on that day & yours was the only help I got!
I just heard my abstract has been accepted.

W

Well done Pea!!! You're very welcome for the advice. Best of luck for writing/ giving the paper. Just think how good it will look on your CV!