Writing An Academic CV -Help!

M

======= Date Modified 21 09 2009 16:09:36 =======
I'm re-writing my outdated CV and it's looking rather sparse! I have headings for Education, Work Experience, Presentations, Publications, Awards, Memberships, References. Am I missing anything out here?

My main problem is lack of work experience. I have RA positions and a fellowship, but they were from a few years back, since then I have only concentrated on writing my PhD (which has over-run badly) and keeping my head financially above water with non-academic jobs (freelance work mostly). Now from looking at other academic CVs, it appears that one doesn't put down non-academic jobs. Do you put non-academic jobs on an academic CV??? I don't want to appear amateurish but I also don't want to appear lazy.

Another issue concerns including a full description of the PhD? I've noticed some academic CVs have attached page at the back which describes the PhD or current research work. Is this common practice?

Also, do you list attendance at those education development courses? eg. GRADschool etc.

I just think my CV looks quite crap...any advice would be much appreciated.

I hate updating my CV....I need some chocolate...:-(

P

I would have thought your headings cover it all.

About the non-academic work experience, yes, I believe normally non-academic jobs wont go on a academic CV, BUT I think if your non-academic job involves transferable skills that are relevant in the academic world, I would include it briefly (few lines, not more). I am thinking "working in starbucks" not to include but maybe anything to do with people management/media/presenting/possibly administration/finance. You say freelance work - so that shows you take initiative to look for the job(s), so if it fits, I would put it on the CV.

Re description of PhD at the back of CV, yes, I have heard that too. I presume it's something you do for the first time you apply for jobs after getting the PhD.

I would list education development courses, and if you've been to a lot, select a few relevant ones.

I have been to a workshop where they said to make a "complete" CV, i.e. including everything, every course, previous job, poster presentation etc, and then when it comes to applying for jobs, selecting only the relevant items.

Mmm, yes, chocolate helps too:-)

P

Here's a good article which should help
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers/articles/1220/Academic_CV_Building_Where_to_Start

Regarding non-academic work, anything which shows administration skills is important, as the article says the three main areas employers will be looking for are teaching, research and admin.

M

Thanks guys! That link is very helpful, and yes I should remember about admin work etc. (I forgot that's very relevant in academia!). I just wish I had more relevant work exp.