Writing. Is it something you can learn?

A

Me too Jepsonclough, that's a really handy resource which I have now saved in my favourites :-) Thanks for that

Re: Garner, Bryan, A. Legal writing in plain English - I bought this on Olivia's recommendation and it is indeed an excellent resource (and I'm not in the legal field at all). It's in five parts; Part One and Two would be particularly useful for somebody looking to improve their writing. I bought it for its advice on editing which is excellent. Here is the preview on Google books which includes the Table of Contents.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PN_8vUWwXp0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=legal+writing+in+plain+english&source=bl&ots=dJbWNkLTPw&sig=Z81de0tmdTkaSrfOL8he-3bX_zg&hl=en&ei=bTxYTYmLA4HDhAfT2-i2DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

H

Quote From jepsonclough:

Not sure if this would help but there is a great reousrce at Manchester University - the academic phrase bank. I find it really useful in finding new ways to say what someone said (if that makes sense). If nothing else it makes writing sound less boring!

www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk

This is a great resource (up), thank you so much. I'm tempted to individually download it, incase it dissapears in a years time or so. Thanks! :-)

S

Quote From jepsonclough:

Not sure if this would help but there is a great reousrce at Manchester University - the academic phrase bank. I find it really useful in finding new ways to say what someone said (if that makes sense). If nothing else it makes writing sound less boring!

www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk

Great !! I have been looking for something like this. Thanks jepsonclough !!!

D

Thank you all for your help.  I have bought the book Style, and I am currently learning the fundamentals of English all over again.

jepsonclough Thank you so much, this link is genuinely amazing. I have tried to create my own phrase bank, but nothing to the details of this. 

Thank you all again,
Donzy x

P

Hey Olivia and Ady, just wanted to thank you for your book recommendation, it arrived couple of days ago, and I'm already finding it very useful in my writing! thank you :D