Writing paper for conference and I feel sick!

B

I sit here...blank!

I think it's more fear. Its my first conference paper and I just feel sick to the stomach. I know giving a paper is for most a step outside the comfort zone. I keep telling myself that it's only an hour and half out of my life and I may enjoy it, but then I feel...well...scared. I'm not going to pinpoint this on being dyslexic as I know most of us dread the thought of reading outloud. I'm not on my own here am I?

I know that giving a paper is key to my PhD...but I just feel like running in the other direction. Feel like a teenager at school and not wanting to be there, and I'm leaving it to the last minute. This is normal right?

Anyway, thought I would post on here instead of talking to myself and making it worse. I just have to do it!

S

Hi, I know how you feel! My first paper for a conference I left until 6pm on the date it had to be submitted by, then had to do it in a panic. It all turned out fine though, they came back to me and asked to change a few things and then if was published in their proceedings. Make a plan with the objectives of the paper and what you want to say and just keep chipping away at it. Get others to read it too if poss, I find feedback from friends good as it is usually constructive. Good luck,