Writing structure - are these correct? eek! help : /

T

(1)When should the title of a figure be capitalized?

Figure 1.1 an overview of sony's...
or
Figure 1.1 An overview of Sony's...
or
Figure 1.1 An Overview of Sony's...

should "Figure" be capitalized?

(2)If lets say I want to write,

----> most of the time, the consumer would respond as, "it would be just R".

Is the double quotation above allowed? should I rephrase?

3)When referring to terms defined, is this possible:

----> the terms "Mellow" and "Glow" are...

or should it be italicized?

4)When cited papers use lowercase for names, is it ok if I use uppercase?

5)Can I italicize a word if I want to stress it?

6) Is it ok to use abbreviations on a proposal? I tend to use lots of them. I do have the abbreviations table. e.g. Biological Network, into, BN.

Hope someone could help! : [

H

(1)When should the title of a figure be capitalized?

Figure 1.1 an overview of sony's...
or
Figure 1.1 An overview of Sony's...
or
Figure 1.1 An Overview of Sony's...

should "Figure" be capitalized?

First one is wrong as Sony should have a capital 'S'. Personally I would go for the second.

3)When referring to terms defined, is this possible:

----> the terms "Mellow" and "Glow" are...

or should it be italicized?

Either probably fine (or even single quotation marks - not sure on the rules there.

When cited papers use lowercase for names, is it ok if I use uppercase?

What kind of names?

5)Can I italicize a word if I want to stress it?

Yes, but be aware that if you submit something electronically, sometimes formatting will be stripped away.

Is it ok to use abbreviations on a proposal? I tend to use lots of them. I do have the abbreviations table. e.g. Biological Network, into, BN.

An abbreviations table is handy but it might also be wise to use the full phrase first time e.g. "...the Biological Network (BN) is....blah blah blah. The BN also..."

H

Also, just to say, that depending on what you're writing, you might want to see if there is a 'style guide' available. Some journals have preferences for how certain things are done, and some universities specify particular ways of presenting things in your thesis.

T

Quote From hazyjane:

First one is wrong as Sony should have a capital 'S'. Personally I would go for the second.

I see. Alright.

What kind of names?

e.g.
English language
Machine language
Operating System

What do you think? Can it be "machine language".

Yes, but be aware that if you submit something electronically, sometimes formatting will be stripped away.

Ah, yes. Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes, that can be a real pain!

An abbreviations table is handy but it might also be wise to use the full phrase first time e.g. "...the Biological Network (BN) is....blah blah blah. The BN also..."

I can see the logic behind this. But, I'm a bit worried that they might say; "Owh, you already have the table, so you don't need to write like this blablabla".

Owh, the subjectivity of writing : /