writing up, chronic fatigue - interruption of studies?

H

hi all..

am two months to my submission deadline and am struggling chronic fatigue. am wondering whether to push on and submit a sub-standard thesis and hope for corrections or interrupt my studies for 6 weeks or so to recover and be able to give my best as am having problems with my short-term memory. flowing the flow of my work now has become nearly impssible. i've had an extension before on health grounds so i can't ask for another extension as this is the absolute final deadline.

i also think an interruption would seem better than an extension from the school's viewpoint. an extention will just make me look like am not bothered about finishing which is so far from the truth.

i struggle through each day and i really need a break from all this or at least a massive reduction in the pace.

please advise?

should i just carry on or interrupt?

L

Hi Hailey,

Have you seen a doctor who has suggested a six week break is the time it should take to recover? Obviously I don't know the extent of your fatigue, but maybe you could begin by taking two weeks off and then get back to trying to finish on time?

I'm also not sure how an interruption is different to an extension? Since I take it either way you would finish at the same time. What do your supervisor think? Naturally your health should come first, it's not worth destroying yourself at this point. Best of luck with your decision.

P

======= Date Modified 10 Nov 2011 15:43:23 =======
Your post really reminds me how I felt just prior to submission!! There was no possibility of an extension and I was forced to submit as scheduled. I was forced to submit a substandard thesis, but luckly for me, their not considering an MPhil, but PhD subject to my thesis corrections and re-writes. However, submitting my sub-standard thesis (at least in my head!), waiting for my viva and fearing a complete fail at viva were the top three most stressful experiences I've ever put myself through. I'm working through my corrections now, but I don't think I'll ever get over that amount of stress, severe depression and panic attacks I went through during the latter half of 2010 and 5 months ago.

Speak to your supervisors. If the university have not found any examiners yet, there maybe a few weeks to play with until the university finds examiners.

Your supervisors should not let you submit if there is a slighty possibility of a failed viva (ie resubmit for an MPhil or fail outright).

Definitely a take a small break if you can.

Best of luck x

S

Hi Hailey,

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't that great right now. It sounds like a break could help you recover so you could do your very best.

In my experience, lots of people just plod along to finish and allow the phd to take over their life whilst their health is in jeopardy. This isn't always best, our wellbeing should always come first but ultimately, only you can decide.

I'm guilty of this and so are a few others I've known... I declined an extension and then regretted it afterwards. In the end, I was spending way too much time working on it and neglected everything else.

I'm ok now, but if I could go back time, I'd have taken the time off... it'd have been the best option in the long-term for both the thesis and myself.

Take care.

H

======= Date Modified 11 Nov 2011 20:05:32 =======
thanks guys. a lot to think about. i had a change of heart today and decided just to push on. i went to see the doctor yesterday as i have been having recurrent flus and they said they need to contain that first before sending me to a chronic fatigue clinic. am generally working in pain but am hoping that once the antibiotics have done their work things will be better. the phd is the cause of my fatigue and am thinking - i should just get on with it. its just two more months - no more like 50 days after all. even if i take time off i will still come back and be under the same pressure plus there are not guarantees the fatigue will go away soon. any thoughts?