writing up fees! anybody know about these?

C

Obviously PhD writing up fees vary from insitution to institution but I was wondering what the procedure is at your institutions? My AHRC studentship finishes in September. I think I may overun until around November or even December. Though if the Writing Up Fees are too much, I will have to force myself to finish in September, since I will literally have no savings or way of paying for anything more than a nominal fee. I should probably think about getting a part time job now to pay for these fees in September.

I am especially stressed because I am trying to do the whole professional development thing and sort out a conference panel in the states in November and this will cost a couple of hundred which I may have to finance if I can't find a travel fund.

I just wondered how people cope when the money runs out, when they have a few months left to go, and yet they need to ££££ to try and finish and make their early career work. Sigh. This is more a stressed rant than a question. Sorry! :$:-s:-(

W

Hiya, Chris, I don't know why I know this, but I think it's pretty nominal - a couple to a few hundred pounds per academic year I think. I know that at some unis they don't even charge writing up fees. At Salford University this is the case, at least.

B

I've no idea at my institution and a bit reluctant to ask since my AHRC grant finished 2 days ago! I'm expecting to take at least another year to finish, possibly two. So I'm in the same boat 8-)

P

Hiya- I'm in the same boat. My supervisors said that the amount of money depends on how much detailed supervison I'll need in the extension year and how much data needs to be collected. My supervisors feel that I probably need about an additional 6mths to submit after September (although I'm going to try and submit by December). My supervisor said if I've collected all of my data etc, I'll need minimum supervision and the costs will be around £50 per month- although she wasn't sure exactly of the exact amounts.

C

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I'm hoping it is kind of nominal since I will only need my supervisors to read the final draft and then arrange the viva. That and access to the library. Salford's no writing up fee seems enlightened! It seems madness to charge students who may have just had their funding expired or have suppported themselves financially for years and can't any more - right at the last minute. Not every student can pull a couple of hundred or thousand out of the air!

Hmm, I'll bring this up with the supervisor when I next see them. Perhaps they know a way if "informally supervising" off the book :p (joke: I know I need to be registered to do anything!)

P

My supervisors were quite adement that I will need to find a job as soon as possible after September in order to pay the fees for an extension year. They haven't really said that I could stay on, but finding a job after September is definitely something that they've stressed!

I'm saving as much of my studentship as I can so that I'll be relatively ok after September.

It is stressfull though!

C

Yeah, you're right those fees need to come from somewhere. I would have saved some of my ahrc studentship were it not for the Career Development Loan I have been paying back every month for four years :(

Anyway, I'm going to apply for a part time job now and try and save up a bit of a cashpot now. Otherwise I'll only be worrying myself and freaking out when I don't have any money.

P

My supervisors have explictly said that I'm not to take on any additional work external to my PhD :( They have said that the next 6mths are going to be really hectic and will use all of my energy.

I asked them whether it would be ok to take on a small placement somewhere to obtain experience to enrich my CV.

So saving my studentship is my only option really!

I too have a career development loan to pay back! I've been paying it back slowly over the last three years or so and the repayments and interest are killing me! Not to mention the mounting student loan debts that I have from my undergraduate student loan. Remind me- why am I putting myself through this again!?! arrrrrghhh!! lol :)

S

Hey,
I'm still paying back that goddamn CDL too!!! But, it was worth it, I think. My uni waives fourth year fees, but that is on the condition we submit within 4 years (which you will). Have a word with the Students Union - Manchester's is slow and not always great, but they always sorted this stuff for me (they can check it out for you without alerting people the the fact it is *you* who needs to start coughing up!!

S

My studentship ran out last Ocober but fortunately there are no fees here for your 4th year if you write up in that time. It must be very common - they just changed the official ordinances to state that all PhD students automatically have a 4th year to write up so basically don't apply for an extension (I think they were drowning in extension applications).

So now I'm still paying childcare with no income - I really am paying to work! This can't be right! I soooo want a job.

C

That bloody Career Development Loan! :-s;-) So glad that other people took one out too. It was so worth it because there was no way I would have been able to do a MA and thus a humanities PhD after. When I finish paying mine off in November I feel like burning an effigy of a bank manager!

How did you know I am at Manchester?! But yes, I will check with the Student's Union and see what is the university stance on writing up fees. I really do expect to be done with it by Christmas (if not before, because I'll get tired of living on air!) so with hope there aren't any...

I'm going to sit down with a calculator and a bank reciept and see how much I can possible save by budgeting carefully in the next six months. Perhaps I might be able to squeeze just short of a grand out. That could keep me afloat for an extra month or so.

P

Quote From *Pineapple*:

My supervisors have explictly said that I'm not to take on any additional work external to my PhD :( They have said that the next 6mths are going to be really hectic and will use all of my energy.

I don't think they have a right to say this sort of thing. If you are not officially funded anymore then it is up to you to decide whether you take on extra work. They can't dictate to you. I would think that most people having to work past the official period would have no choice but to work. I know I will have to find a full-time job from next January when my three years are up. My supervisors are saying I should not do any more GTA work this year which I think is fair enough even though I rely on that extra money.

L

Hi Chris, i was also worried about fees, but when i spoke to the admin they kinda gave me the impression that it would only be £200 max. and i read in the handbook that its about that much. i suppose every uni is different.

you should find out that way you wont worry. but i dont think it will be that much. and in most cases probably wont even make you pay.

P

Quote From pamw:

Quote From *Pineapple*:

I don't think they have a right to say this sort of thing. If you are not officially funded anymore then it is up to you to decide whether you take on extra work. They can't dictate to you. I would think that most people having to work past the official period would have no choice but to work. I know I will have to find a full-time job from next January when my three years are up. My supervisors are saying I should not do any more GTA work this year which I think is fair enough even though I rely on that extra money.

Hi Pam,

I meant at the moment whilst I'm still fully funded. They've said I'm not to take on anything additional until September at least.

After September I will have to take something on I think- or I could rely on my savings I guess....we'll see. Theres just so many things I want to do- ie finish PhD, buy my own place etc and at 28, I really feel I should be earning! But being in debt (student loan, career development loan) isn't helping matters at all!! :'(

P

Sorry Pineapple, I misunderstood. You are in the same boat as me then.